Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

new to SAS

New Contributor

new to SAS

Hi All,

I have MCA background and dn't know Statistics.  I want to learns SAS.  Is it suitable for me?

If it is suitable for me please suggest me how to start this one..

Thank you

Super User
Super User

Re: new to SAS

Not really much information there.  Why do you want to learn SAS?  Do you know programming, or do you want a graphical interface?  Will you want paid or free?  

For tutorials, SAS provides some free videos (and a free learning edition):

http://support.sas.com/training/tutorial/

New Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your reply.  

Yes, I want to learn sas. And I know programming. Presently working on Oracle Apps R12.  I want to change to SAS.

Super User
Super User

And what is the "need" to change to SAS?  Is the company changing, is the software changing, are you changing roles etc.  SAS comprisises of a lot of components nowadays, you may use some of them or you may not.  The base language is Base SAS, which if you have used any programming language will be familiar in terms of logic, but operating with datasets in datastep or proc might be slightly different from application programming languages like C.  

If you come from Oracle databases, you know SQL, there is a ANSI compliant SQL procedure in SAS which you can use.   Also, connecting to databases will still be a part of it.  However if you just do visualisations, maybe Visual Analytics is all you need, virtually no coding, just a visual interface.  Without knowing something of the backgroud of the why its hard to say.

Super User

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/bd-p/sas_analytics_u

See the video here. 

Note ne in the link above from Kurt there are two free e-learning courses. One for programming and one for Statistics. 

New Contributor

is it mandatory to learn Statistics for SAS?

Super User

No. SAS -> Statistical Analysis Software

That being said, there are a lot of other uses thes days including data management and reporting. 

A basic understanding of stats is usually required in those roses anyways. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation