Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

more of a complaint but is SAS paranoid about installation and use?

New User

more of a complaint but is SAS paranoid about installation and use?

Hey its kind of ridiculous how many hoops you need to jump through to actually be able to use SAS, I thought I downloaded a offline version that I could use on the fly but I still can only use SAS university edition when I have VMware open and I access a website online. I wanted to get a head start learning this program for a new job, but its been difficult to get access even after following the 3 steps shown online. I guess I'm just complaining, but it seems rather annoying considering many other reputable analytical programs are much simpler to install. Im thinking maybe SAS is paranoid because they are kind of dinsaur in this analytic space, if they dont let anyone in to use it, then they avoid having more security problems but then they are also limiting the number of future young people from using it. Eventually I imagine some startup will take over the industry like all the other software industries and SAS will go to dust...if they dont start putting their paranoia to rest

Regular Contributor

Re: more of a complaint but is SAS paranoid about installation and use?

Are you trying to install SAS in a PC environment or Unix ? I assume you are able to use the University Ed without a problem. I once tried to install SAS in a Windows environment years ago; and recently installed the University Ed. I can't say I had any noticable problem.  It's a pretty friendly and easy to learn language. If you could describe your issue a bit, there are many experts in the forum and even SAS employees, who check-in from time to time who may be able to provide you pointers...  Good luck to you...!!!

Kannan Deivasigamani
Community Manager

There are three ways to learn and use SAS for free.  Two of these methods use just your internet connection and don't require any installation; the third allows you to practice on your own machine even when you are disconnected from the internet.

1. SAS University Edition through Amazon Web Services.  This software is hosted on Amazon and SAS does not charge for the software.  Amazon has the right to charge for use of its service, but most typical learning use won't incur any charges.  Visit the SAS University Edition site and scroll down to Get Free Software to select this option.

2. SAS OnDemand for Academics - this is hosted by SAS, and requires that you are enrolled in a course that is taught by a professor who is using the OnDemand environment.

3. SAS University Edition - installed.  You download / set up a simple VM player, then download an instance of the SAS University Edition software.  The setup is relatively simple -- many thousands of people have done this to learn SAS.

Chris

Super User

Although you access SAS UE through a browser and with the VM running you aren't actually online. No internet connection required. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation