Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

mapping path for a file in local C: drive

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

mapping path for a file in local C: drive

Hi All, I have a big lab file over 170 MB. It is too big to upload into University Edition SAS. I tried using the path like (libname raw "C:/Users/wjohn/Desktop/SAS/PCC Training"). It did not work and told me that 'Library RAW does not exist.' Can somebody help me out? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-07-2017 04:12 PM
Occasional Contributor

Re: mapping path for a file in local C: drive

Thanks Kurt! Based on your instruction, problem has been solved. Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

What kind of file is it ? Is it a sas dataset? external file like XLS? CSV?

Beyond, rename path in OS so it have no blanks in it. and adapt your path in the program code.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. It is a SAS file of lab data.

Super User

SAS University edition sees the file system in terms of the virtual machine it runs in. So the data has to be a folder that UE can see such as the /folders/myfolders or a folder below that.

Also the UE runs in a LINUX box and requires UNIX/LINUX path constructs. So it would look more like Libname raw "/folders/myfolders/raw"; assuming you created a new folder named raw. Also the path text is case sensitive.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, Ballardw:

Yes, I do have a folder like "/folders/myfolders/raw". SAS University Edition dose see that folder and can reference the files in it. but I have to upload the SAS data into the folder. My lab data is too big to upload into. So I am thinking of using the local folder instead, but could not get it to work.

Super User

What makes you think it's too big? Myfolders is on your computer somewhere somplace it there. There's no size limit. 

SAS on AWS or Academics On Demand have limits of 10MB. 

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I do have a folder like "/folders/myfolders/raw". SAS University Edition dose see that folder and can reference the files in it. but I have to upload the SAS data into the folder. My lab data is too big to upload into (the limit is 10 MB). So I am thinking of using the local folder instead, but could not get it to work.

Super User

Moved the post to the proper SAS Analytics U community.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

Let's repeat: if the shared folder is properly set up, it is a directory in your local filesystem and is only limited by the space on your harddisk. SAS UE only has a link to it (see it like a network mount). You do not "upload" files there, you simply copy them there with Windows Explorer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kurt!

Sorry that I might not explain clearly at the beginning. I used Oracle VM VirtualBox Mannager to connect online, then run "http://localhost:10080/SASInformationCenter/index.html" to access SAS UE for running my SAS programs. Got that kind of problem posted above.

Best,

Super User
Super User

When you setup SAS UE you had to map the folder that SAS sees as "/folders/myfolders/" to some folder on your actual Windows machine. Put the file into that folder (or some sub folder underneath it) using normal Windows operations. Then the SAS program can find it.

Super User

When you set up your VM (and if you followed the instructions), you defined the shared folder (which can be found from UE as /folders/myfolder). Since that folder actually resides in the host operating system, you simply copy files there (using host operating system tools), and there is no limit (besides the space available on your harddisk). There is no need for an upload.

Solution
‎03-07-2017 04:12 PM
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kurt! Based on your instruction, problem has been solved. Smiley Very Happy

Super User

@SAS_Beginner1 Please mark the question solved.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation