Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

interrupting a process that is stuck in a loop - SAS Studio University Edition on Mac

New Contributor

interrupting a process that is stuck in a loop - SAS Studio University Edition on Mac

I am running the current release of SAS University Edition via VMWare and am trying to read in a dataset located in the sasuser.v94 folder (located in the SAS Studio Server Files and Folders tree).  I right-clicked on the data set, selected "open" to view the data and now the application is frozen and wil not allow me to stop or exit the process.  I see a pop-up window reading "Opening a Table", and showing the spinning progress wheel.  No other options, buttons or information are available in this window.

I have tried to close down the session and restart, but each time I do, the session resumes from the exact same place (i.e. it is still trying to open the file).  It is a very small data set - just a few variables with 3 or 4 observations, all numeric.

How can I either (a) interrupt the attempt to open the file and resume the session or (b) start a new session without resuming the same operation that seems to be stuck in a loop?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Super User

Re: interrupting a process that is stuck in a loop - SAS Studio University Edition on Mac

Exit browser, making sure to close all windows.
Exit VM. Restart VM. Restart Browser.
New Contributor

Re: interrupting a process that is stuck in a loop - SAS Studio University Edition on Mac

Reeza,

Thanks for the response.  Sadly, I have done all of these things - many times over (and even restarting the session via different browsers) - and when I restart SAS, it starts up stuck in the same loop with the same pop-up window running, blocking all access to the main window.

I've read an entire thread on similar "running" issues, but this issue seems to be taking it to a whole new level of broken.  Increadibly frustrating.

Thankse nevertheless.

New Contributor

Here's a screenshot...

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 5.17.32 PM.png
Super User

I suggest you try different VM software and see if you get the same problem.

Super User

Delete the VM image and start again I'd say...annoying for sure, but you get what you pay for sometimes Smiley Wink
New Contributor

I have the same exact problem?

Any fix yet?

Thank you,

Richard

Super User

I would recommend contacting SAS tech support. 

New Contributor

Fixed:

I created a Shared Folder (following the link below exactly).  

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/shared_folder_virtualbox.htm

I then shutdown VM.

Went into the "myfolders" folder on my physical hard drive.

Deleted the table that SAS Studio was stuck on opening.  

Restarted VM and SAS Studio Session.  

Working fine now.

Thank you,

Richard

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation