Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

input of data into an existing SAS database from University Edition

New Contributor

input of data into an existing SAS database from University Edition

I have a stack of questionnaires that have data on them that needs to be inputted into an existing SAS database. I am able to open the database in the SAS studio and the table opens showing the columns with their headings. I am unable to input the data into the table directly. I am not a SAS DBA or coder so I am not sure I am going to be able to successfully upload data from an excel spreadsheet which seems to be the only viable option that i can find looking over the entries in FAQ. Is there a way to input the data directly into the table?

Super User

Re: input of data into an existing SAS database from University Edition

Posted in reply to Kristofer

If you open the SAS windowing environment and see a small box preceded by a checkmark in the upper left corner below the menu line this might work:

Type

VT libname.datasetname openmode=edit view=form

replace libname.datasetname with the library and set name you want to edit.

Or if you have clicked on a table to view it try going to the Edit menu and clicking on Edit Mode.

The form view can be changed in the open table using menu items under the View menu. Form view is often easier to use than table but experiment to find which you prefer.

There are record selector arrows at the bottom. The Edit menu item has commands to add additional rows and to save or cancel entered data.

Not the quickest if you have a lot of data to enter but may work for you.

New Contributor

i cant find a way to do any of those things I do not see the options for that here.

Community Manager

Thank you for using the communities. As a Community Manager, I have moved your question to the Analytics U community to give it more exposure. I hope you receive a correct answer soon.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

One thing you can do is create your "new" data in a separate WORK dataset (perhaps by importing the Excel file or by using DATALINES. And then append the "new" table to the end of the existing table (assuming you have write access). In this process, you have to be VERY sure that your import of the "new" data is absolutely correct and that the types and lengths for the "new" data matches what is in the existing data that you want to ADD to. But once you do this debugging, then a PROC APPEND step will append the "new" observations to the "original" observations.

cynthia

use_proc_append.png

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation