Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

improve appearance of SAS output in latex

Regular Contributor

improve appearance of SAS output in latex

Hello SAS community,

I am typesetting my term paper in Overleaf (an online latex writing program) and using screenshots of SAS output for many of my figures/tables. 

The result so far doesn't look too bad and has improved since my first attempt at it, but I m wondering you you all had any tips or tricks for what I can maybe change in SAS to make the output look more cohesive stylistically in the overleaf setting. 

I will post an image of on of my graphs for reference. 

Thanks! SAStuck

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 10.42.20 AM.png

Super User

Re: improve appearance of SAS output in latex

What do you want to improve. It helps to be specific.

If you want the same fonts in your graph images or (shudder) images of tables then use a SAS ODS style with the desired font.

If the images are supposed to fit into a certain amount of space such as a 3 inch by 3 inch in the final result then it helps to make the image that size to begin. ODS graphics /height=3in width=3in noscale; (the no scale to prevent specified fonts from shrinking/growing from specified sizes in any). Color palettes are also controlled by the ODS style or style overrides in the graphic procedures if using SG graphics procedures. If using the older device based graphics such as Gchart or Gplot then this may be a good time to change.

Learn the axis controls for your graphs so that instead of all caps such as SALARY or not quite as useful to a reader variable names like annual_return the axis labels read more like "Salary (thousands of dollars)" or "Annual Return for 2015 (millions of dollars" or "Average Annual Return 2010-2017 (millions of dollars)" or what ever would make sense and reflect your data values. You might consider a different scale such a log10 for the values so the outliers don't squeeze the remaining records so close together. There is apparently at least one item that has a very large volume that is almost completely obscured by the others. Which would make me think there may be others hiding in that overlay. A different axis scale may allow those to be more visible as the log10 scale would make more space at the left/bottom area and reduce the space taken up by the five or six outliers, or possibly even trim the data an mention the outliers.

If you are doing lots of categorical plots and would like the color/symbol/line type associated with category value "XXX" then DATTRMAP for consistency may be a big help.

I am not familiar with LaTex but it may be better to have chart/table/figure heading in the document than the images.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation