Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

how can i read file with sas code?

N/A

Community Manager

Re: how can i read file with sas code?

Are you using SAS University Edition, SAS OnDemand for Academics or other software from SAS? Your peers in here need more detail so they're better equipped to help you. Here is an article on the best way to structure an inquiry. Thank you for visiting the SAS Analytics U Community; hope you'll keep coming back!

Super User

Where specifically concerned with reading external files the file format is important. It is best if the file is a text file to provide several example rows of data and what you know about the file such as:

Does a row of the data contain column headers (variable name or description)

Is it delimited where each value is separated by a common character such as comma, tab, space, pipe |, or other character

Does a single logical record only occupy one row of the file or does is span more than one row? If it spans more than one row how to tell when a record ends.

Is the file a spreadsheet? Database file?

Sometimes the operating system has some impact on the process and language encoding if different than the SAS environment.

Super User

Quite easily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation