Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

data set bigger than 10MB & libname

Occasional Contributor

data set bigger than 10MB & libname

Hi,

Is it true that SAS University does not accept to upload a dataset bigger than 10MB?  Is there a way to let SAS accept that?

Also, SAS University does not allow me to use libname which point to a folder in my hard drive?  Did I not set up something so that SAS does not do that?

Thanks,

Bac

Super User
Super User

Re: data set bigger than 10MB & libname

Well, I don't know about file size limits.  SAS UE is a learning tool, not for commercial applications.

Yes, UE doesn't point to your local driver directly.  It is installed on a virtual machine - thus you have to move your data onto the virtual machine and then access it from there.  There is plenty of help on here about how to do this.

Super User

SAS UE communicates with the host operating system through the shared folder (/myfolders in the SAS UE) you defined when you set up the virtual machine. Just put your file there, and SAS can see it. No upload necessary.

What was the error message you got when you tried to import the file into SAS?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Thanks ,

It said it could not upload the data set bigger than 10MB.

Thanks.

Super User

In addition to myfolders you can map their shared folders to the VM and then reference them as noted in the FAQ. 

The quickest way to do this is map the folder, navigate to it under Files and Folders and right click for properties. Under Properties you'll see the path you need to use. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Reeza,

Are you saying it can map to a folder which is a specific folder in my hard drive other than \SASUniversityEdition\myfolders?  If so, could you show me in details.  I don't see Files/Folders as you described.  Are they in SAS University interface or in Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager? In Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager I only see Folder menu.

Thank you--btran

Super User

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/shared_folder_access_existing.htm

The Files and Folders is a menu on the right hand side of SAS Studio when it's running. 

The detailed instructions are above.

In general, the FAQ answers the majority of questions

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/main.htm

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

I follow the link you sent, and what I see is the picture (see attachment) go to every options but don't see the :Edit virtual machine settings" as the link instructed.  Did I go to a wrong place.  Thanks--btran  

Capture.JPG
Super User

Sorry, I don't use VirtualBox, I use VMWare, I assume the instructions are up to date so I would follow them to the letter.

If not, see the installation instructions on how to set up the myfolders, the process is the same, except its to your own folders.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

Now I try to make it run on VMWare as yours.  When I run "Play virtual machine"  It errors out something like "VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible"  (see capture.jpg attached).  Do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks--btran

Capture.JPG
Super User

Wow. I would have thought it was easier to stick with VirtualBox. 

Look for the instructions regarding shared folders here:

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionInstallGuid...

Relevant instructions are on page 7, step 1 and then step 10 forward. Instead of myfolders you can link to any other folder. 

VMWare instructions follow as well. 

Super User

btran wrote:

Hi,

Is it true that SAS University does not accept to upload a dataset bigger than 10MB?  Is there a way to let SAS accept that?

Also, SAS University does not allow me to use libname which point to a folder in my hard drive?  Did I not set up something so that SAS does not do that?

Thanks,

Bac

Are you using SAS Academics On Demand or SAS University Edition?

Your post says University Edition, they are different. 

Academics on Demand is hosted online via SAS and run in the cloud and they very well may have a data set limitation. You cannot map a drive to your local computer with Academics On Demand.

SAS UE is locally run on your computer through a virtual machine and has no restriction on data size and you can map your local folders. 

SAS Super FREQ

And, I believe that if you run SAS University Edition on the Amazon AWS, that there is a 10MB limitation on uploads (and I thought there were some previous postings about this).

cynthia
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation