Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

an equivalent to the FSLIST editor ?

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

an equivalent to the FSLIST editor ?

Hi to all

is there an equivalent to the FSLIST editor with the University version ?

For sure, I can open a txt file with a double click but I'd like to add the ruler and give a number to my data lines...

I tried to use PROC FSLIST but it doesn't work with my university version  - I ran this program :

PROC FSLIST FILEREF="/folders/myfolders/abcd.txt";

RUN;

and the log is telling me :

ERROR: unable to initialize proc due to running in batch mode.

and an other error which says that there is no terminal connected to my SAS session

Any clue?

or simply impossible?

best regards

Sébastien

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-12-2015 08:17 PM
Super User
Super User

Re: an equivalent to the FSLIST editor ?

You could always use the LIST statement in a data step to look at your file. For example to look at the first 10 lines do this.

data _null_;

infile "/folders/myfolders/abcd.txt" obs=10 ;

input;

list;

run;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Valued Guide

No need for this FSLIST as your files are being found in the guesting host. (Windows Apple).
Access these files form there when needed. And the UE SAS editor should do the job also.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

an external editor and the UE editor are not offering me what FSLIST offers : cols and number commands

if it's not possible.. well... too bad...

Valued Guide

Did you ever see tools like notepad++ or Ultraedit? The last one is sometime seen as an icon in video-s made by SAS institue. It makes FSLIST as an ancient dino approach .  

Super User

Doesn't that depend on the external editor, what editor are you using?

TextWrangler is what I use on my Mac and Notepad++ is what I use on Windows.

Super User

In the brave, new world of SAS Studio/University edition and EG, any of the classic SAS procedures providing a SAS interface directly won't work, including all of the FS* procedures. This is because SAS is now running in batch mode and being controlled by a client tool where there is no equivalent replacement.

I too miss it's passing. The annoying thing is it is still available on the SAS server if you are able to remote login to it and start SAS directly into SAS Display Manager.

FSLIST is also great for large text files that cause NOTEPAD/WORDPAD to blow up. The ruler and HEX mode are great for figuring out INPUT statements. I don't know if the tools mentioned by others work for large files.

Valued Guide

With ultraedit (older versions) there where no problems with big files (above 2Gb). It is supporting several language highlighting and has a SFTP interface.
With notepad++ the approach with all encodings is better. The encoding is switching from a SBCS to a MBCS (utf8) approach.  The ruler and hex mode are more of the SBCS world. Sometimes missing but the UTF8 and others is very nice. There are additional plugins.  For the positions the column number is shown

Solution
‎03-12-2015 08:17 PM
Super User
Super User

You could always use the LIST statement in a data step to look at your file. For example to look at the first 10 lines do this.

data _null_;

infile "/folders/myfolders/abcd.txt" obs=10 ;

input;

list;

run;

Contributor

Thanks to all

and a special thank to Tom - the solution you proposed is the one I was looking at: a simple tool to help my student to understand the way raw data are organized.

Valued Guide

SR_FR As a teacher please educate your students with relevant information. The Hollerith card is history just anecdotic.  The SBCS (Single Byte Character Set) will got the same way.
See UTF-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as a MBCS approach one character can be 1-4 bytes (rfc 3629). The old paradigm of 1-byte = 1-char is wrong by that.
The most difficult human step is acceptance of the going to ancient times of that wrong paradigma.

Most tools these days are moving to using utf8 (Unicode) Unicode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
As a result the column oriented SBCS will be as wrong with this kind of data as having the focus on the hollerith card. Punched card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New User JJM
New User

Hi,

You can use Notepad ++ with the plugin TextFX.

With this plugin you can add the line number for exemple.

---  0---|--- 10---|--- 20---|--- 30---|--- 40---|--- 50---|--- 60---|--- 70---|--- 80---|--- 90---|

Knd regards,

JJM

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation