Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

accessing data in excell?

Occasional Contributor

accessing data in excell?

I have an Excell workbook on my desktop. I have the University Edition on my desktop. what is the easiest way to use UE to analyze the data in the worksheet?

Occasional Contributor

Re: accessing data in excell?

make that Excel. Sorry about that.

Super User

The first step will be to move it to the folder/myfolders location set in the VM for the University Edition which is kind of blind to anything not there or in a subfolder.

Then start UE and go through an import task.

Occasional Contributor

I apologize - but how do i move it to the folders/myfolders location in the VM?

Super User

Have you created the myfolders location as in the Installation Guide? If not refer to the Installation Guide for your specific VM option.

If so, you can copy/paste it to the relevant folder where you created myfolders.

Occasional Contributor

I created myfolders by running the code from the set up where the data were part of the code so i guess i will need to copy-paste the data into the run code? I fond some code for inputting a CVS but haven't been able to get it to recognize my file name yet.

Super User

You need to manually create the myfolders. Please read the installation guide, you can find the installation guide for VMware in the Step2 section of the link below.

Download SAS University Edition | SAS

SAS Employee

You might also find this topic from the SAS University Edition Help Center useful.  It talks about using the IMPORT snippet to create a SAS table from an Excel worksheet.

Can I create a SAS table from a Microsoft Excel file?

Occasional Contributor

I guess my problem is getting the Excel file into the shared folders where i can use the import data snippet.

SAS Employee

When you created the shared folder, you should have specified a physical path for the folder.  For example, the physical path could be C:\UniversityEdition\myfolders.  Using Windows Explorer (assuming that you are using Windows), can you save the Excel file to that directory.

Here is more information about shared folders and how they work.  Hopefully, that can help.

What is a shared folder?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation