Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Which one is future language?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Which one is future language?

1. SAS

2. R

3. Other

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-24-2014 08:45 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: Which one is future language?

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

R is able to give you some edge if you are Ph.D researcher/student doing some "frontier" work on statistics, given that you have the required skills or networks to come up the module you need. Say for example if you found a newly published statistical paper and tried to implement the algorithm, R will be your best bet, SAS may or may not come up something equivalent, even it does, you will have to wait for  indefinite long time.   On the other hand, SAS is way more than enough for regular industry need (Media, Health care, Financial, Government, Pharm) on statistics.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User
Super User

Sorry, question is not clear.  Do you mean which language will be used going forward?  I would imagine both will be as they are used in different areas, R is used in Education more (from my info) for teaching as its free.  SAS seems to be thoroughly embedded in the Pharma industry.

Of course this is only a guess as who knows what will happen in the future.   Learn what you need for right now and the immediate future.

New Contributor

We can't say "R" is just limited to education. It's a very powerful statistics language. Although SAS is more powerful than R as SAS is not just language.

However my question was about; which one will be future of statistics language?

Super User
Super User

Hi,

I didn't say R is limited to Education, I merely state that that is where it is mainly used currently.  Its hard to say what the future of stats language will be, maybe next year Google will buy SAS and Amazon will buy R and we will all have to move onto a new language to work.  A good guess would be that both languages will be around for many years and R will continue to gain in popularity as its free, a bit like Windows vs Linux.

Super User

R is a framework system (not just a language) for statistics. Very good, but just the statistics. Needs scientific/engineering type of thinking, therefore very hard for accountant types. Needs add-ons to deal with large data.

SAS is also not just a language, but a complete system for data warehousing, including ETL (R is seriously lacking in this, instead depending on external utilities or database systems), data management/access control, metadata repository, statistics, frontends, presentation, and so on. Scales very well.

What would probably work very well is to use SAS as the toolset to build/maintain the data warehouse and then use R as a statistics tool on top of that, for those users who are familiar with it.

(This is the core of the executive summary I gave when the "R question" arose in our company)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Solution
‎06-24-2014 08:45 AM
Respected Advisor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

R is able to give you some edge if you are Ph.D researcher/student doing some "frontier" work on statistics, given that you have the required skills or networks to come up the module you need. Say for example if you found a newly published statistical paper and tried to implement the algorithm, R will be your best bet, SAS may or may not come up something equivalent, even it does, you will have to wait for  indefinite long time.   On the other hand, SAS is way more than enough for regular industry need (Media, Health care, Financial, Government, Pharm) on statistics.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation