Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

What is causing error in setting up SAS studio/University Edition?

Occasional Contributor

What is causing error in setting up SAS studio/University Edition?

so when i try to set this up I get the following:  o

1 OPTIONS NOSYNTAXCHECK;

2 OPTIONS LOCALE=en_US DFLANG=LOCALE;

3 FILENAME _WEBOUT TEMP;

4 FILENAME _RTFOUT TEMP ENCODING='UTF-8';

5 FILENAME _PDFOUT TEMP ;

6 OPTIONS PRINTERPATH=PDF;

7 FILENAME _GSFNAME TEMP;

8 FILENAME _DATAOUT TEMP;

9 %LET SYSCC=0;

10 %LET _CLIENTAPP=SAS Studio;

11 %LET _CLIENTAPPVERSION=3.1;

12 %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE = %BQUOTE();

13 DATA _NULL_;

14 CALL SYMPUT("GRAPHINIT","");

15 CALL SYMPUT("GRAPHTERM","");

16 RC=TSLVL('GEOCODE');

17 _ERROR_=0;

18 IF (RC^=' ' ) THEN DO;

19 CALL SYMPUT("GRAPHINIT","GOPTIONS RESET=ALL GSFNAME=_GSFNAME;");

20 CALL SYMPUT("GRAPHTERM","GOPTIONS NOACCESSIBLE;");

21 END;

22 RUN;

NOTE: Argument 1 to function TSLVL('GEOCODE') at line 16 column 4 is invalid.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time 0.00 seconds

cpu time 0.01 seconds

Super User

Re: What is causing error in setting up SAS studio/University Edition?

The log notes define the error:

NOTE: Argument 1 to function TSLVL('GEOCODE') at line 16 column 4 is invalid.

I couldn't find any documentation on function TSLVL, so not sure if its a user generated function or I'm just missing something.

What type of argument is it expecting.

Occasional Contributor

I don't think I set up such a function - thought it was from SAS?

Super User

I can't find any reference to such a function existing in the documentation for 9.4 or 9.3, but it does appear to work in 9.3.

Try using the following macro variables instead?

&SYSLONG

&SYSLONGV4

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Reeza & Gerry:

SAS University Edition does not have SAS/GRAPH if you are using SAS Studio through the SAS Virtual Machine. So it seems to me that, since there are also GOPTIONS statements, the posted code might be trying to use SAS/GRAPH procedures that are not available.

cynthia

Super User
Super User

Because University Edition does not have SAS/Graph product.

18103 - GACCESSIBLE or GOPTIONS might cause syntax errors in SAS® Enterprise Guide®

Super User

That part of the code doesn't get executed the only error generated is the one in the log. 

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

But PROC GEOCODE is a SAS/GRAPH procedure, so it is asking to use the TSLVL function on "GEOCODE". See my screen shot for an example of a successful invocation of the function (by itself). The TSLVL function is a user-written function (written by Tech Support) as described here:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS111-2014.pdf -- so I am guessing that Tech Support will be able to explain the NOTE in the log and the reason why 'GEOCODE' is an invalid argument. My guess it is that GEOCODE and SAS/GRAPH are not available. On a system with GEOCODE available, the TSLVL function does not return that NOTE. On the other hand, using an argument like "WOMBAT" did return the same type of note.

cynthia

successful_tslvl_function.pngno_wombat_in_system.png
New Contributor

The SAS Studio (University Edition) is new.  It replaces The SAS Learning Edition, which was a SAS installation that ran on your local PC, but was "crippled" to only process a low number of observations (I don't recall just how many, but I think it was around 1000).  This version was very nice, and I used it for many years to teach myself SAS at home, and hone my SAS macro writing skills.  I'd develop a working algorithm, then send it to myself via email and use it at work.

SAS decided to eliminate this wonderful tool, and opted instead for a dreadful alternative called SAS on Demand for Professionals.  This implementation could only use the data SAS made available on its servers in Cary, and the round trip time via the internet to process data was maddeningly slow.  It made it more difficult for me to develop my own data sets and test algorithms. It has now been replaced by SAS Studio, of which you have the 'University Edition' -- whatever that means.  I have not seen other versions available (if anybody knows of a more robust version even if it cost money, PLEASE let me know!), so this is what SAS devotees are left with.

A company in England "backward engineered" SAS, not just because companies did not want to pay SAS high fees, but to answer the need for many devotees (yes, we are devotees -- I love SAS programming and development!) needs for a tool to use for honing their skills.  This is one reason I am sure SAS Institute has released SAS Studio, which is a much improved alternative to SAS on Demand for Professionals -- but a poor replacement for the crippled learning edition. I think they discovered that some smaller companies and clever mid-sized ones were using the learning edition for business use, breaking up data sets to get around the limit, and avoiding the licensing fees.

SAS Studio does not just submit your code, like you see in the e-learning courses. It adds code "behind the scenes" in the same way Enterprise Guide does. The developers at SAS Institute are probably already aware of this issue, and working to resolve it.  You can just ignore the NOTE and the extra code you see quoted in the log while going through the e-learning courses.  The important thing is that you learn the concepts -- so don't get too close to the tree, or you won't see the forest.  You'll still learn a lot about SAS development that you can apply at your job, which is the main thing you are trying to do here, right?

Enjoy SAS!  The company has good reason for the approach they are taking, and believe me, SAS Institute is trying very hard to make learning SAS an enjoyable and rewarding experience for you.

=Lawrence Dexter

SAS Employee

The short answer is that this is a note in the log that you can ignore or you can hide it completely by choosing Preferences -> General -> then uncheck Show generated code in the SAS log.

For those interested in the details... what's happening here is SAS Studio is checking to see if SAS/GRAPH is installed so it knows whether to set up things like GOPTIONS to make sure output is displayed correctly in your browser,  What you're thinking is why would this check be needed since we should certainly know what's in the University Edition - and SAS/GRAPH is not a product included in this package.  What you might not realize is that SAS Studio is a general interface to SAS so it runs wherever you run SAS.  SAS University Edition happens to be one place you can run SAS, but you can use SAS Studio to talk to a local copy of SAS if you have one, a server running SAS, and so on.  Each of these SAS environments might have a completely different mix of SAS products licensed & SAS Studio is designed to take that into account. 

With all that said, it's still not elegant for Studio to throw a note in the log while it's doing its setup and the dev group is now making a change so the function will execute without the note & we'll get that in a future release.  And to Lawrence's point, we're trying to keep the code that Studio executes on your behalf to a minimum.  Most of the generated code is setting up output to work well in the browser.  If you find generated code that's bothering you, please speak up!  The goal is to not "get in the way" of SAS programmers.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation