Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

What are the legal limits for using SAS University Edition?

Contributor

What are the legal limits for using SAS University Edition?

I frequently see posts on social media about using SAS University Edition to assist in writing papers for conferences.

What are the legal limits for using SAS University Edition, and where can I find them, if they exist on the SAS web site?

When does work for a conference paper become commercial, and therefore not permitted?

Community Manager

Re: What are the legal limits for using SAS University Edition?

Hi Phil,

This is a good question that more people have been asking.  SAS University Edition is intended for learners at all levels (not just university or college students, as the name might imply).

SAS University Edition should not be used to replace a commercial version of SAS for any commericial or professional research purpose.  I'm not on the legal team, but I would think that using it to produce a conference paper is okay (an educational/academic endeavor that can help a wider audience of learners) but using it to publish the results of a clinical study would not be.

We'll track down some more specific guidance and post back.  cc @BeverlyBrown to help with this.

Chris

Community Manager

I'm on it! Thanks for your question, @hollandnumerics. I agree we need to better define the boundaries.

Contributor

@BeverlyBrown Any progress on defining the boundaries? I would expect a number of community members will be awaiting your answer!

Super User

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation