Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

SAS Employee

What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

Now that you have downloaded the free SAS University Edition, please tell us what you think and what motivated you to download the software?  What types of research, projects, data analysis, etc. are you performing with the SAS University Edition Software?  We would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Jennifer Scott

Frequent Contributor

Re: What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

Well I was motivated by the fact that it is FREE and that it does not need an Internet connection after the initial download and install.Basically I can have Access to SAS software on the Go.I sincerely appreciate SAS in bringing this Product.I just wish that in Future SAS/GRAPH is added to University Edition too so that people like me who also want to learn SAS/GRAPH using programmatic approach can also benefit from it.

Super User

SAS/Graph is outdated, the SGPlots are available in Base.

I'm not sure where GTL (Graph Template Language) is located, but you'll want to learn those instead Smiley Happy

SAS Employee

Reeza - Per SAS/Graph being 'outdated' ... the old saying "I'm not dead yet!" comes to mind (if you're a Monty Python fan, you'll get that reference) Smiley Happy

SAS/Graph has some really nice features for creating custom graphs, and I've created thousands of examples that you can re-use with your data. SAS/Graph also has a lot of geographical mapping features that aren't in the sg- procs yet (you can create simple map-shaped colored polygons with sg, but it's not really geared towards geographical maps like SAS/Graph's proc gmap is). SAS/Graph also has essential mapping features such as Procs Geocode, Ginside, and Gproject.

N/A

Cross platform! Finally I can use SAS in OS X... at home.

N/A

Finally I can use SAS on my MAC which I will use to prepare for SAS certification.

Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

We were thinking of using it to prep students for the Base 1 exam. It is a nice product and I am quite enjoying it, but this is the first year we are teaching the course and we want to stay true to SAS Base 1 course as provided to us.

The jury is still out as to if we will use it this year. we may leave it to bed down a little and fall back on Base SAS 9.4 installations on our machines for now. We have found some hiccups and we are waiting for more information before we decide which way to go.

The product did hang for us with IE and Firefox, even if we were in the room watching it and we made sure all the 'run' commands and semi-colons were in the right place. This was with the very small test datasets we received with the SAS Base 1 certification course. We found using Chrome reduced the incidents of hanging. For all we know this may have been a coincidence, but we are not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The other wall we hit is related to LIBNAME to load multi-sheet Excel workbooks. Again the dataset used was from the SAS Base 1 certification course. We are still hopeful that this problem is caused by our lack of knowledge of the product and that someone in the SAS team or the broader community will know how to make this work.

All in all, I would still say that I would give the solution a thumbs up and would use it for other informal teaching/learning purposes.

I hope this helps.

SAS Employee

Hi Asmat,

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you working with anyone at SAS at this time to help with your questions?  If not, please let me know and I will get you in touch with the appropriate team.

Thanks

Jennifer

Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

You are most welcome. As I said I like the product I just need to get to know it a bit better.

I would be so grateful if you could put me in touch with the right team. It would be so much simpler if we could check if what we are experiencing is because the functionality has not yet been enabled.

Many many thanks

SAS Employee

Hi Asmat,

Please send an email to SASAnalyticsU@sas.com and someone from the SAS Analytics U team will work with you.

Thanks

Jennifer

New Contributor

I was motivated to download SAS because my professors says that it is used quite a lot in the private sector. I started using SAS in the school lab and I got a program working fine in the school computer, but the same program just hangs with SAS university edition. Maybe the Data set is too big? The same program runs in a few seconds in school and my home computer is much faster. My internet connection is also fast. To be more specific, the program that I wrote runs in 30 seconds at school and it took 18 minutes to run using SAS university at home. I'll try to use it with small data sets to see how that works.

New Contributor

One of the reasons that we, at the University of Derby downloaded it the same day that you announced it, is to make it easier for our students to have SAS on their own PCs compared to having to install it under our control and manage their licences each year.

However, a more persuasive reason, following SAS Analytics 2014 in Frankfurt, is the fact that it appears that SAS are planning to use SAS Studio (the core of AnalyticsU) as the SME offering. It is important for our students to gain experience of tools that they will be using in their future jobs. Experience with AnalyticsU (SAS Studio) will, then, enhance their employability.

Occasional Contributor

Jennifer,

I wanted to look at its features and see if it worked for my macros. It doesn't seem to have the metadata_get* functions available, but it is amazing to have the ability to send people off to learn SAS and they don't have to find it by going to a brick and mortar university. The University of New Mexico stats department seems to have moved towards R because they like training students on software that while very good and usable is not an industry standard nor capable of handling massive data like SAS. I wanted to see what I could do with the software and see how it could help my LUG people. As far as I can tell, it will be an amazing and enriching analytic experience for them.

Sumner

Occasional Contributor

Free is a strong and powerful word.

I actually returned to the site finally deciding I would pay for the software training. My knowledge of SAS is extremely limited but I know from reading through job listings that this a powerful program to have listed on your resume. I own a SAS book but it's difficult to study and learn without any real world application. My current position doesn't require me to use any database applications.

So now I'm currently watching the youtube videos along with the software, eventually I will use the book I have to assist with learning and hopefully obtain a position that will require use of SAS soon

Thank you.

New Contributor

I wanted to download it because I was having a very hard time installing my university's version and I hoped this would be easier to install. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the version I thought I needed for this free version, the dropdown list didn't contain Windows 7 64-bit version, even though the page said 64-bit was needed. My Windows & computer are 64-bit.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats