Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

SAS Employee

What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

Now that you have downloaded the free SAS University Edition, please tell us what you think and what motivated you to download the software?  What types of research, projects, data analysis, etc. are you performing with the SAS University Edition Software?  We would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Jennifer Scott

N/A

Re: What Motivated you to Download the SAS University Edition?

Hi,

I worked with Base SAS macros , SAS Di and SAS EG when I was working with an organization. Currently I am pursuing my higher education but I don't want to lost touch with SAS . And also SAS is very niche skill , having knowledge on this technology will give me upper hand in my professional career.

Regards,

Mayank Dusad

New Contributor

This helps to break the impossible career deadlock of some industries: you don't get hired unless you know SAS programming, but as an individual, getting a SAS license for learning SAS programming is not a practical proposition.

Sadly, is very restricted in comparison to SAS OnDemand for Academics (that I used with Coursera), but it is a step in the right direction and I appreciate it.

N/A

Have not yet.  What does this mean in the License Agreement. What happens after this?

" This Agreement will remain in effect from the date You accept it until July 31, 2015 ("Term"). "

-Henk

Wesleyan University

SAS Employee

HI Henk,

On July 31, 2015, you will be asked to sign a new license agreement and update your SAS Profile and SAS will push a new image/download to you.  This product will continue to be at no cost.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Jennifer

New Contributor

Our institute do have SAS license and is available on the campus network. But students are not able utilize this in the best possible manner as they stay away from campus. I am trying the university edition to check if this will be useful to them.

Thanks, Regi

N/A

HEllo,

I want to learn about SAS and develop analytical and statistical skills oriented to risk and fraud topics. I installed the VMware player and configure SAS University Edition. But I need some guide to begin to use the software and begin the training.

Valued Guide

Seeing you are IT auditing and risk analytics there must be background with data processing.

The common known approach to help screens are missing.

These intro SAS Tutorials | SAS Training (free tutorials) will help you to start.

For coding the help approach is different as it down by tasks and snippets (templates) and  auto-complete  when you are typing in the source area.
The first thing is finding your way with code (source) result (output) and logs.  A very classic 3-fold separation.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
SAS Employee

You can start with the YouTube playlist "SAS Analytics U" SAS Analytics U - YouTube .

Regards, Jos

Occasional Contributor

I downloaded it to test it to see whether it will work for the students in my SAS programming class. They currently have access to SAS in various labs on campus, in a virtual lab environment, and they can purchase a license for their own computer for $25. A free option is very appealing.

However, the user interface looks absolutely nothing like either the regular SAS windowing environment (which we use) or SAS Enterprise Guide. I'm using Programming I and Programming II from SAS Institute and I don't see an easy way of making the instructions and information in those course fit this environment.

It's also slow. The program that I tried that accesses data in an xls worksheet (which works fine in SAS 9.4) throws an error message in UE even though I've changed the folder reference to match the folder reference that works to access a SAS data set used by another part of the program.

For people who don't have access to SAS, this is probably a great opportunity and I appreciate SAS making it available. For those of us who have reasonable access to regular SAS, it may not be a particularly enticing choice.

Respected Advisor

Hi Jennifer,

Two questions,

1. I have encountered conflicted information upon the eligibility of SAS University Edition. Is it FREE to everyone or only someone with professor/instructor referrals?

2. Which modules does it include, such as does it have SAS/ETS? or even does it have Enterprise Miner or Text analyzer or JMP?

Thank you and best regards,

Haikuo

SAS Employee

Hi Hai.kuo - The SAS University Edition is free and includes the SAS products Base SAS®, SAS/STAT®, SAS/IML®, SAS/ACCESS® Interface to PC Files, and SAS® Studio . Teachers, students, adult learners, and academic researchers can access the SAS University Edition software for noncommercial learning purposes.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jennifer

Respected Advisor

Thank you, it is good to know!

New User

Hi jennifers

It’s a great opportunity and enticing choice for me, who leaves in Cameroon and don’t have access to SAS.

Occasional Contributor

Is the SAS windowing environment available in the University edition. The tutorials given are for windowing environment and i can't find some setting shown in the tuts in the sas studio.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 14 in conversation