Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Vsphere for SaS University Edition?

Occasional Contributor

Vsphere for SaS University Edition?

Hello,

I understand that Sas University can be installed via a Vapp onto Vmware Desktop, files are accessed via the myfolders shared folder. Sas University can also be installed on AWS and accessed remotely and files are uploaded. Is there a way to use Sas University on Vsphere?  

I installed it on my Vsphere server, however: I do not know how to go about creating the shared folder or uploading the files to SaS.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Super User

Re: Vsphere for SaS University Edition?

Posted in reply to Ferdinand

Can you successfully start application?

Occasional Contributor

Yes application runs fine.

Super User

In the files/folders/servers pane there you can upload a file. Look for a filing cabinet type icon. 

Once the file is uploaded right click, select properties and that should be the path you use for analysis. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see the folder. However, the upload tool seems to have a 10 MB file size limit. Is this a limitation imposed on Sas University, or limitation due to the interface?  Is there another way for me to upload files that are larger than 10MB?

Thanks

Super User

That's not a limit of the app when installed locally, only in the cloud. 

If you figure out how to set up myfolders that doesn't have a limit. 

Occasional Contributor

That is just the problem. My folders cannot be setup on Vsphere as the server is separate from my computer. I was hoping that there was a way to FTP the files to the program or something along the lines. 

Super User

I'm not familiar with vsphere...

Doesn't the server have folder space that you can set up there? And then you can upload to your server via a standard FTP protocol. 

Otherwise I would suggest using the version on AWS which could access some sort of S3 bucket. 

What type of files do you have? You can also access some files using PROC HTTP 

This is old but should still be valid. I think there's newer posts but I'll leave that to you. 

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/12/18/using-sas-to-access-data-stored-on-dropbox/

Can I ask why you don't just install it locally on your PC/Mac?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for prompt replies Reeza, I am currently taking some classes for certifications and the data I wanted to upload was for practice purposes.

I had it installed on my desktop, but I wanted the flexibility of accessing from any pc in the house. Since I have a server, just seemed like a better place for it. Vsphere does have some folders that I can load files to etc. But I do not think I can mount them as shared folders for the virtual machines. I will look into that as it would solve my dilemma.

Thanks for the help
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation