Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Virtual Box error: kernel requires an x86-64 CPU

Occasional Contributor

Virtual Box error: kernel requires an x86-64 CPU

Hi there,

I encounter this error :

This kernal requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot...

I am using a 64-bit machine. I downloaded and installed as per the SASU instructions.

I'm using Visual box version 5.1.10 r112026 (Qt5.6.2)

I've looked at the dedicated help page

Installation Note 53263: When you start the SAS® University Edition via Virtual Box, an error might ...

But in step 3 it states to select the 64-bit version from the drop-down menu. However, my drop-down menu only has 32-bit versions available.

I've attached the log.

I read on another question page in the forum that people have had to go into the Bios. However, I'm loathe to do this as this is a work desktop.

Can you please advise?

Many thanks

Super User

Re: Virtual Box error: kernel requires an x86-64 CPU

It should be RedHat 64 bit, ie your setup should look exactly like the screenshot. Can you include a picture of your setup? 

Unfortunately if it is correct and you do get an error then it does mean modifying your BIOS settings. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

Thanks for replying. Here are three screenshots. The first is when I first try to boot up the SASU machine, second from when I click enter and third showing you the dropdown menu displaying only 32-bit options for RedHat.

Thanks,

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

capture3.png

Super User

I have to ask...scrolling down doesn't give you a 64bit option? The VM should be shut down while trying to make changes as well. 

If this persists contact Support@sas.com 

Occasional Contributor

No scrolling down does not give the 64-bit option.

"The VM should be shut down while trying to make changes as well."

The answer may seem obvious, but how can I shut down VM and make changes to VM configuration simultaneously?

Thanks,
Super User

The initial instructions detail how to shut down. Then in virtual box you select machine and click settings. You shouldn't be able to see the black screen of the VM. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Installation-Note-53263-When-you-start-the-SA...

Occasional Contributor

You mean powering down the VM? I've done this fine, but unfortunately it doesn't resolve my issue

Occasional Learner

Hey jocelyn,

I know it relates to an old post but I ran into the same issue. I was able to solve it this way. From the VB window, click on Machine tab, then select Settings, under General choose the Type to be Other, and the Version should be Other/Unknown (64-bit), then hit OK and start your machine. Solved my problem, hope it solves yours if you still have it.

Cheers

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation