Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Using column names of a dataset

New Contributor

Using column names of a dataset

Hi.

I have a dataset that contains customer credit card information.The amount on various items like Airlines,transport etc. are stored in columns named Airlines_Amount,Travel_Amount etc.

What I want is to refer the column names and if they have anything like '_Amount' take their sum.

Any way to do it??I have attached a screenshot for better understanding of the problem.

Untitled.png
Super User
Super User

Re: Using column names of a dataset

Hi,

Well, in Base SAS, not sure about what you are using, there is a library called SASHELP.  Within that are views: VTABLE - details all the tables in all the libraries, and VCOLUMN - details the columns in those tables.  So you can query these just like a normal dataset:

data want;

set sashelp.vcolumn (where=(libname="WORK" and memname="YOUR_DATASET"));  /* Needs to be upcase */

if index(name,"_AMOUNT")>0 then output;

run;

You also have this through SQL with the DICTONARY.TABLES and DICTIONARY.COLUMNS.

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info.I have used the VCOLUMN to list out the column names I want to use.

But the problem is how do I match them with the column names in the original dataset.

I am basically trying to refer to the column names in VCOLUMN to point to the column having similar name in the original dataset.

Super User
Super User

Depends on what you want to do.  I would assume that you want to use columns in your program hence you are moving into macro variables/code or code generators which is a more advanced topic.  Say I want to use a list of variables in a proc print:

data _null_;

length lst $2000;

retain lst;

set vcolumns (where=(libname="SASHELP" and memname="CARS")) end=last;

lst=catx(' ',lst,name);

if last then call symputx('LIST_OF_VARS',lst);

run;

proc print data=sashelp.cars;

var &LIST_OF_VARS.;

run;

Ask a Question
Discussion stats