Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Using SAS Studio/SAS University while offline

New Contributor

Using SAS Studio/SAS University while offline

Dear SAS users,

I just downloaded SAS University for a course I'm taking and was curious to know how to use SAS Studio while offline (i.e. not through my browser).

I love the SAS Studio layout (very similar to RStudio), however unlike RStudio I cannot use the SAS Studio console from my laptop; it will only let me use it via a web browser. This isn't inherently a problem as I'm almost always somewhere with wi-fi, but for the times I don't have a connection, it is particularly annoying and reminds me how much I prefer R/RStudio.

I am currently using VMware Fusion Pro7 for virtualization, but aside from simply starting up SAS University and providing a URL, VMware doesn't really seem to do anything... Is that the sole purpose of VMware for SAS University? To sit there idly while I do everything through my browser? Or can I run SAS Studio through VMware to make this application (that I otherwise have zero use for) a bit more useful?

Any sage advice or wisdom here would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers!

Regular Contributor

Re: Using SAS Studio/SAS University while offline

Posted in reply to ProbablyBogdan

Hi,

I'm not sure which version of SAS University Studio you downloaded, or if you have read and followed all the installation instructions.

Nevertheless, I made sure to test this before replying to you, and hopefully it will work for you.

I was able to open SAS Studio without Internet connection, and sucessfuly run a Program and get results.

The version I have on my laptop is a vApp that runs through Oracle Virtual Box.

http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition/download-software.html

Once the vApp started you would start SAS Studio via a localhost:xxxx port in the browser.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

New Contributor

Posted in reply to AhmedAl_Attar

Hi Ahmed, 

Thank you for your prompt response!!!

I've attached a picture below to better illustrate my issue; more correctly worded, my original question should have asked: "Can I open SAS Studio within the virtualization produced by VMware Fusion Pro 7?" As seen in the image below, I'm curious to know if this is the sole purpose of the virtualization software (a black and white screen saying "use this url for SAS Studio").

Also, I'm unsure how to start SAS Studio via the "localhost:xxxx port" method as you have stated below. Is this different between VMware vs. VirtualBox? Would you be able to describe this method for VMware users if it is indeed possible with this particular virtualization software?

Thanks for your help!

VisualReference.png
Regular Contributor

I have a feeling the fact we are using different virtualization software is the reason for the URL differences! You may want to give Virtual Box a try if it runs on a Mac!?

The vApp (Blak&White screen) as you refered to it, is a mini Linux Machine, that get started/booted and in turn starts all the SAS Processes and Servers installed in it. It provides all the SAS Middle-Tier and Server Tier components that are required for SAS Studio to work. http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/university-edition/index.html

I'm suspecting the SAS UE (Universirty Edition) is providing SAS Studio Basic as part of its software stack

That said, SAS Studio is Web client, and it can not be started as a typical desktop (Windows/Mac/Linux) application.

Ahmed

Super User

The browser is a connection the the VM machine running. The VM actually processes the data. Think of it as a web app that is hosted on your computer.
Contributor

ProbablyBogdan, Ignore any differences in URL, each version of SAS University Edition, whether VMware or VirtualBox, is installed on your computer and does not require any internet connection. The URL should be copied from the displayed window in the virtualization software and typed into your browser. This URL points back to your own computer, and not to the rest of the internet.
Philip R Holland
Holland Numerics: Blog and Forums
http://blog.hollandnumerics.org.uk
New Contributor

Posted in reply to hollandnumerics

Thank you for this explanation! I tested your suggestion with my wi-fi turned off, and SAS Studio started up perfectly!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation