Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Using FILENAME statement in SAS University edition to connect with JMS broker

Senior User

Using FILENAME statement in SAS University edition to connect with JMS broker

[ Edited ]

I have Win 10. I have my SAS on Virtual box. I have installed Activemq and i need to connect it with SAS. There are some documentetion, that is pretty ok, but i have errors(pic 1). If i correctly understand i need to meet one paticular requirement: "The JAR files for your JMS provider must be included in your CLASSPATH= environment variable."

If that is correct, i have two ways:

1) Set classpath in the linux console. You need to know login and password to use it and they were given in SAS image in advance(if its even will work - i dont shure). And even if I get access, how will I find the path to my .jar files that are located on my pc in a shared folder?

2) Somehow set it in SAS web interface.I don't know if there's a code for that but I'm thinking of the autoexec. This code doesn't end up with an error:

options set=CLASSPATH "<folder that contains JAR/CLASS files>"

But still, which path is correct?

/folders/mysharedfolder/ does not work.

I guess there's no need to run it all on University ed.(probably that's why I haven't found any clues so far), but if you have any ideas I will be grateful.

pic 1.png
Super User

Re: Using FILENAME statement in SAS University edition to connect with JMS broker

I can't point you to a specific solution, not familiar with JMS but I believe you want to investigate the FILENAME statement.

The File statement in a data step does not support all of the features of a filename statement. Use the Filename to declare the reference and then in a data step use the file reference:

LIbname myfile engine "path to file/file" <other options such as user password the engine supports>;

the "path to file" options can vary depending on the engine. When using a local file system then the directory/file in the appropriate OS syntax is used. But for engines like FTP there are lots of things.

data use;

file myfile   <and the options DATA step may use such as DLM LRECL termstr etc>;

Super User

Re: Using FILENAME statement in SAS University edition to connect with JMS broker

Keep in mind that SAS UE runs in a virtual machine, so tcp://localhost in the SAS code points to the VM itself, and I seriously doubt that you could somehow run third-party software (the broker) in the VM that isn't already there.

I also think that there's no way to access any outside computer from the UE; the only communication paths to the outside world are the web port for SAS Studio and the shared folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Regular Contributor

I'm not familiar with ActiveMQ but it looks like it has a RESTful API so you might be able to get it to work with Proc HTTP which certainly works in University Edition.

http://activemq.apache.org/rest.html

Super User

PS Moved the question to the SAS Analytics U forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation