Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Updating SAS University Edition: Your guide to success

SAS Super FREQ

Updating SAS University Edition: Your guide to success

Though we hope the process of updating SAS University Edition for you will always be smooth sailing, you can sometimes run into rough waters. Here is a list of steps to follow when updating, going from least complicated and time-consuming to most.

1. When you see the “Updates Available” button in the SAS University Edition Information Center, you should go ahead and perform this update when convenient. Because the update process will require a restart of your SAS University Edition virtual machine, you should not do this until you have saved any work you have open. Note that the update process is in two steps:
    1. Downloading the updates.
    2. Applying the updates.
  2. The download process may take some time if the update is large. (You will see the size of the update in the text beside the update button.)
  3. Once the download process is complete, you will need to apply the updates to SAS University Edition.  There will be a point when the update is being applied and you will not necessarily see changes on the Information Center page. Please be patient. You can bring forward the SAS University Edition console window (the window with black background and white text) so you can monitor progress as the virtual machine reboots.
  4. All of the above is what we would call the “happy path” to updating. While this is the usual behavior, sometimes the update may not go as intended. When this is the case, the first thing we recommend is to clear the cache and  cookies in your browser (or use another browser if you have one installed) and try the above process again.
  5. If the update still fails and you have the large .ova file you downloaded for your SAS University Edition installation, you can reimport it following the Quick Start guide and then try the update again. (The file is generally about 1.7GB and has the extension .ova. If you have it, it may be in your downloads folder.)
  6. Finally, if re-importing the .ova file and again trying the update still doesn’t work, then you can go to the SAS University Edition page on sas.com and download the newest version available. This will obviate the need for updating because this file will be up-to-date. The reason this option is listed last is the file will be large (approximately 1.7GB) and will take a while to download. Having said this, however, you can always exercise the option to download this file whenever you see there is an update. Providing you have correctly set up your Shared Folders, this will be a surefire way to get the latest version.

We hope this helps. Feedback is always welcome!

Contributor

Re: Updating SAS University Edition: Your guide to success

I cannot find the Bin Continuous Data Task in SAS University Edition 3.5?

I believe that it is included with SAS Studio and SAS 9.4.

SAS Employee

[ Edited ]

@JonDickens1607 Hi Jon! Unfortunately since the Bin Continuous Data Task is a high-performance statistics task, it is not included in SAS University Edition

"The high-performance tasks and the econometric tasks that ship with SAS Studio are not available in the SAS University Edition." (from: http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/limitations.htm)

Occasional Learner

Hi Randy 

I am trying to update the SAS university edition as I have downloaded the OVA file and when I am launching the SAS studio it is showing a message "The system is applying the updates" but the progress bar is not progressing as I have initiated the update from past half an hour 

Kindly provide me the resolution for the same 

Regards,

Swapnil

Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem (I always have this problem when updating). This is frustrating. 

Please help!

Thank you,

ia

Occasional Contributor

Oh...now things are worse...I cannot access the localhost page either on Safari or Chrome...help please!

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @swapnil1 and @ianchondo. We are always looking to improve the update process.

For now, I would suggest to download the new version from here. While the update is more convenient, and I apologize that it didn't work for you, I do think in the long run, it's most expeditious to just download the newest ".ova" file and install it. If you've set up your Shared Folders, there should be no harm in re-importing.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Randy. It worked, meaning the program downloaded and it is running. But SAS Studio still says:

The download completed successfully. To apply the updates now, click Update. Seedetails about the updates.

Advise?

Ines

SAS Super FREQ

Here is what I would suggest: If you are able to start SAS Studio without applying updates, just do that so you can move forward.

Generally, purging any cookies related to SAS University Edition will remove that notice to apply updates. If it doesn't, I would then also send mail to support@sas.com or call 1-919-677-8008 so we can look into the issue. That shouldn't be the case.

Again, I apologize for your

Contributor

Thanks,

What version of SAS STAT is available within SAS University Edition 3.5?

Can one use any of the HP procedures within SAS University Edition 3.5?

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
New Contributor

I have successfully updated SAS university edition, however, I can't retrievethe files I was working on in the previous version. Is there any way I can get them back?

Francois Caron

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @fcaron. My suspicion is that you just need to re-establish your Shared Foder.

Here's how you do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttvffI0kx64

Or see Step 3 in the Quick Start guide:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVi...

Thanks,

Randy

In this video you'll learn how to set up shared folders for your SAS University Edition virtual machine. SAS ANALYTICS U It's all about U! Whether you're a teacher, professor, student, academic researcher or independent learner, we offer anyone in a teaching and learning environment free and ...
New Contributor

Is it possible that I was previously working without a shared folder? I can’t find the files I was previously working on on my computer..
SAS Super FREQ

Hmm, that may be the case. You would have gotten a warning in the Information Center each time you started SAS University Edition. Do you recall that?

If you really did store them in the VM, then whether you can get them back will depend on whether your removed the files associated with the VM. Perhaps you had a Shared Folder and just have forgotten where it is on your disk?

Randy

New Contributor

Actually I still have a message that my folders can’t be found although I created the file and added it in the machine settings.
What I used to do with the previous version is that I worked of files online and then downloaded them if needed. However, some files remained online and I did not download them before the version expired. Is there any way I can get them back?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation