Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to launch SAS Uni Edition using VirtualBox

New Contributor

Unable to launch SAS Uni Edition using VirtualBox

I am unable to run SAS University Edition using VirtualBox 5.1.28. I've included screenshots of my VM setup, the error(s) that are produced, and the log.

Error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine SAS University Edition.

The virtual machine 'SAS University Edition' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\abc\VirtualBox VMs\SAS University Edition\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:

E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component:

MachineWrap

Interface:

IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. It's a company machine and I conveniently do not have admin rights.

There are 3 virtualization support settings on my BIOS: Virtualization, VT for Direct I/O, and Trusted Execution. I confirmed that the first two are enabled, however the third one is grayed out and I can't enable it.

C:\Users\abc\VirtualBox VMs\SAS University Edition\ doesn't contain any VM* files with any weird file extension suffixes. I've read in similar posts that this might be a problem.

Yes, I've tried rebooting multiple times. Also removed SAS Uni and re-imported it.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is using an older version of VirtualBox. Honestly, it's a pain to download and install software because of the admin rights hurdle, so I wanted to exhaust all other troubleshooting methods before attempting that.

SAS Employee

Re: Unable to launch SAS Uni Edition using VirtualBox

Hi @prnelson8,

This is error message is related to security, and appears to be more of an issue with Oracle VirtualBox.  You may want to consider trying to use VMware virtual machine instead.  Here is a link to the QuickStart Guide for the VMware Player

Super User

You're likely going to be unable to install it on a machine without admin rights. 

Note that the you also need to ensure you're within the license restriction of SAS UE, ie no commercial usage. 

Other options if you can't get it installed on your computer are SAS Academics on Demand - Independent Learner option. This has no fee and is hosted on the cloud by SAS. You can also use AWS and launch SAS through there as well. It costs about $20 a month to run a micro instance with SAS UE (I accidentally left it on Smiley Sad ). 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Everything is already installed. I simply can't get SAS-UE to successfully start from Virtual Box. Does the system check for admin rights when launching from VirtualBox?

I'll look into the Independent Learner option, thanks!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation