Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to create dataset under my own folder

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to create dataset under my own folder

Hi,

I'm new to SAS and started with writting a sample program which tries to populate input stream data to a file under my own folder (Instead of permanent dir machine was assigned during installation). It is not able to create libref successfully. I have attached the log messages. Can someone please help why it is not able to point to right physical location. I also tried adding 'C:\SAMPLE' to shared folders but in vain.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-20-2016 07:19 AM
Super User

Re: Unable to create dataset under my own folder

1. You can set up multiple shared folders, see the FAQ. I don't understand the part about interchangeable. 

2. You can write the libname statements in your code

3. You can have spaces. To reference your shared folders you need to use the UNIX path and the stub specified in the FAQ. 

Heres a very similar question that has code sample. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SASUniversity-folder-shortcut-to-pc-folder/m-p/246793...

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Harisingh.. You don't say for sure, but I'm going to assume you are using SAS University Edition. If so, please see this topic for how to create a library referencing your data and how to put datasets into that library:

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/SAS_libname.htm

If you are using a different product, please let us know.

Thanks,

Randy

Super User

Interesting. The libname shouldn't have worked in the first place. 

Assuming your using SAS UE, it runs on a virtual machine which is like a different computer that is running on your computer. It doesn't have access to your computer except by the shared drive set up. So you need to use the shared drives and can't use the C:\ references to your files. 

Additionally, it's a UNIX machine, so it uses the / slashes and is case sensitive. 

Occasional Contributor

Yes I'm talking about the SAS UE.

Hi Randy,

I saw the link you sent. I have few queries to start with -
Can we share multiple folders with UE? If so, can we use them interchangeably for libname reference? This is what I'm trying here.

2. The link shows setting the libname manually. Hope this can be achieved using libname stat in program.

3. Let's consider the shared folder as C:/SAMPLE
Is the root (/) is required to start the path name - /C:/SAMPLE ?
Can the path have spaces in between - /folders/my folder / ?

Let me know please. Thanks for your help.
Solution
‎07-20-2016 07:19 AM
Super User

1. You can set up multiple shared folders, see the FAQ. I don't understand the part about interchangeable. 

2. You can write the libname statements in your code

3. You can have spaces. To reference your shared folders you need to use the UNIX path and the stub specified in the FAQ. 

Heres a very similar question that has code sample. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SASUniversity-folder-shortcut-to-pc-folder/m-p/246793...

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for prompt responses. I was able to complete the task.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation