Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to create a permanent library- Gives error message. What to do?

New Contributor

Unable to create a permanent library- Gives error message. What to do?

libname sample "C:\Users\jajoo\Desktop\SAS";

error.png

Super User

Re: Unable to create a permanent library- Gives error message. What to do?

Are you using SAS UE? If so have you set up a shared folder at that location?

See the SAS UE FAQ (right hand side) on the main SAS UE page.

New Contributor

Can't find it.

Please can u direct me to how to do it

Regards

New Contributor

Please tell me how do i do This?

SAS Super FREQ

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionInstallGuide... Chapter 3 (this is for Virtual Box on Windows)

Here is the web site with the doc: SAS University Edition

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

As Reeza suggests, if you are using SAS University Edition and SAS Studio, re-reading the step-by-step install guidelines would be useful. Because, the way it works is that your browser communicates with SAS in a Virtual Machine, using the Virtual Machine software (either VMware Player or VirtualBox) as the "middleman". Your computer has a C: drive; SAS inside the Virtual Machine uses a Linux operating system which does not have a C: drive and won't talk directly to your C: drive. The reason you set up a shared folder in your Virtual Machine software is so you can create a "Unix nickname" for your C: drive location that SAS will be able to use.

For example, as part of the Virtual Machine install, you were instructed to set up a folder called SASUniversityEdition and to make a subfolder under that called myfolders. If you skipped this step, you might need to go back and re-do it. So you might have set it up like one of these locations:

C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

OR

C:\Users\xxxyyy\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

however, BOTH of the above locations will look like this to the Unix box, assuming you set up the location as your shared folder (as instructed):

/folders/myfolders

Note how the high level path of the physical location becomes the "nickname" /folders and your subdirectory /myfolders is the same as the recommended folder name. So, if you now make another subdirectory in that location (like ecprg193) the path will be this on your physical drive:

C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\ecprg193

OR

C:\Users\xxxyyy\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\ecprg193

Now, the "nickname" that you would use for your libname statement would be something like this:

libname orion "/folders/myfolders/ecprg193";

OR

libname orion "/folders/myfolders/ecprg193";

Once you get the shared folders (or shortcuts) working, you will not get an error on the LIBNAME statement. Just remember that SAS will NOT use a Windows path when you are using the University Edition in a Virtual Machine.

cynthia

Occasional Learner

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

Windows 7 - VM Player 12 - Libraries creation.

Guys, you are talking all nonsense, please just come to the point. 

I already setup SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

before importing the sasvm in my vm box.

However, everything works fine, except you are unable to create libraries, same error as above.

i went into vm settings, pointed to shared folder (myfolders) than back to sas studio, still the same issue.

What needs to be done...... any ideas  dont keep bragging about linux path windows path etc.  just see hwo and what needs to be done on windows vm player, so we are able to create libraries from within SAS studio. 

Super User
Super User

@Sal1 wrote:

Windows 7 - VM Player 12 - Libraries creation.

Guys, you are talking all nonsense, please just come to the point. 

I already setup SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

before importing the sasvm in my vm box.

However, everything works fine, except you are unable to create libraries, same error as above.

i went into vm settings, pointed to shared folder (myfolders) than back to sas studio, still the same issue.

What needs to be done...... any ideas  dont keep bragging about linux path windows path etc.  just see hwo and what needs to be done on windows vm player, so we are able to create libraries from within SAS studio. 

Just think of it as if SAS is running on a machine in another city (Miami for example) and not the on the machine where the browser is running. You would not expect that machine in Miami to be able to point a library at your C drive.  You need to point your library at a directory that the machine can see.  In SAS/Studio you can use the "Server Files and Folders" tab to see the files that SAS can reference.

image.png

Find a folder that you want to point a libref at in the browser and right click on it and open the properties option to see what its directory name to use within SAS.

image.png

If you cannot find the folder you want then go to your PC and move the folder under the folder that you gave SAS/Studio access to and it will be visible to SAS.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation