Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to contact SAS University Edition EC2 instance in AWS

New Contributor

Unable to contact SAS University Edition EC2 instance in AWS

[ Edited ]

Just yesterday I created a SAS University Edition (SAS 9.4M3***) EC2 instance using the 1-Click install method from the AWS Marketplace.  Everything was working fine.  I could connect to SAS Studio in my browser.

Today I tried to connect to SAS Studio again and the server didn't respond in the browser.  I tried to SSH into the server but the connection timed-out.

I tried to reboot the server but it didn't respond to the reboot request in the AWS Management Console.  I Stopped the server then Started it.

According to the AWS MC it is Running and Status Checks complete.  However I can't see anything in the System Log.  I created a new Amazon Linux instance in the same VPC to see if it was a problem with my local connection or VPC settings, but I can connect to this with SSH without issue, and I can see its System Log.

Note that this is possible the second instance I've had crash like this.  However I can't say it is certainly the same because with the other instance I thought the problem was with the way I'd attempted to setup my own custom VPC.  This time I am just using the default VPC, which was working fine initially.

I tried connecting to the SAS Uni instance with SSH to the Internal IP from the new EC2 instance in the same VPC, and once again the connection timed-out.  I also can't ping the SAS Uni instance from this other server on the internal IP.

Any suggestions on what I can do to recover the instance?

I'm still learning my way around AWS, so consider me an AWS beginner.  I dug through everything I could see in the VPC and associated settings but couldn't see anything I recognised as an issue.

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Unable to contact SAS University Edition EC2 instance in AWS

Posted in reply to lachlan_macnish

Hi, @lachlan_macnish. You won't be able to ssh in to your AWS SAS University Edition instance. You can only access it using the public DNS entry via http. Generally, if the instance is running and you've been able to access it with that URL before, I don't know why it wouldn't come up for you again. 

Please do try that URL and let me know if you are able to access the page for the SAS University Edition Information Center.

Thanks,

Randy

New Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis
Thanks Randy. However that is what I was trying first but get no response
on HTTP or HTTPS.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
New Contributor

Having the exact same problem. Hoping to find a resolution to this.

SAS Super FREQ

Posted in reply to cecoletta

Hi, @cecoletta. When you follow along with steps 4 & 5 from here, what is the result?

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartAW...

Thanks,

Randy

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Randy. The last step I am able to do successfully from those directions is 4c. I take the Public DNS URL and paste it into the browser. The page always times out. There's nowhere for me to input the sasdemo login from step 4d.

Note that I let the instance fully boot before I do this. The status checks say "2/2 checks passed" before I try to navigate to the URL.

Clearly the instance is running, but something about my configuration isn't allowing incoming traffic, despite the fact that my security group allows all incoming traffic from all IPs. I was forced to make a new VPC and subnet to launch this instance, and I was forced to change the defaults to assign a public DNS in the first place. I was asked to provide a VPC IPv4 CIDR as 10.0.0.0/16 which seems to be the default, could that be the problem?

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @cecoletta. Usually, when people follow the Quick Start, things go pretty well. If there's a problem, it's often because folks have used AWS in some form before; there just seems to be a correlation between previous use and issues with SAS University Edition on AWS Marketplace.

That said, I just fired up an instance. 

Here's how the Security Groups look:

securitygroups.PNG

and here are the Outbound rules:

outbound.PNG

Can you see if yours match this? Also, you're welcome to submit a Support Track to support@sas.com

Thanks,

Randy

New Contributor

Yup, you're absolutely right, I am a previous AWS user. Ironic that existing users have more trouble. Your incoming and outgoing settings are identical to mine. I went ahead and put in for a support request ticket. Thanks for trying.

-Chris

SAS Super FREQ

Okay, @cecoletta, we'll get it figured out!

Randy

SAS Super FREQ

For anyone who's reading along, @cecoletta created a SAS University Edition instance in another AWS region and it worked fine. While we don't know what was wrong with access to the other instance, this is an easy workaround.

Thanks!

Randy

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

In my case I was using a brand-new AWS account, not one of my existing ones.  However I did try to create my own VPC instead of using the Default VPC.  I never found a solution, but I did get it working with a similar workaround.  I deleted the SAS EC2 instance and VPC I had created and just re-ran the 1-click install, just using the defaults (i.e. Default VPC).  That then worked for me too.  I didn't have to use a different region.

I put some details in my blog which also links back to my question on StackExchange with more details.

https://sasadmintips.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/sas-university-edition-on-aws-some-initial-setup-troub...

In my case I think there was some missing configuration in the VPC that I created that wasn't automatically assigning IPs and domain names to the instance, but when I ran it with the default VPC this all worked fine and I could connect.  It sounds like my problem was different to the problem @cecoletta was facing.  I am not certain though.  I didn't put in the time to find the root-cause because I wasn't using this account for anything else so it wasn't worth spending time on at that point.

So, in short, simply try starting again if you have this issue.

New Contributor

...however I never did see the correct options that I was missing in the Marketplace.  I was just able to manually connect to the instance by entering the instance URL into the browser and using SAS Studio, which was fine for me.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation