Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to connect with SAS University Edition

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect with SAS University Edition

Hello, 

I tried to connect with SAS studio but wasn't able to. It will attempt to log in and dispay "loginning in", then gives me the folllowing error message:

HTTP status 500 error - java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file

Below is the information on the full page. Is the server down, or something is wrong with my Java setting or what? This is the first time I've had this happen. I've tried using both Chrome and Safari, restarting VirtualBox, my laptop. Nothing worked. My internet is working fine. This happened after I upgraded my VirtualBox to the newest edition, however there doesn't seem to be a problem with opening VB and running SAS on it by itself. Help needed! 

Thanks so much!!

type Exception report

message java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:343)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
	org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:238)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:264)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1201)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.processDispatchResult(DispatcherServlet.java:986)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:933)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:851)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:953)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:844)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:620)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:829)
	org.apache.catalina.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:108)

root cause

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file
	java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
	java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
	java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
	java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
	java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
	java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
	java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:132)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:63)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:172)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:369)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:238)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:264)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1201)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.processDispatchResult(DispatcherServlet.java:986)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:933)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:851)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:953)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:844)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:620)
	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:829)
	org.apache.catalina.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:108)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Pivotal tc Runtime 3.0.0.RELEASE/7.0.55.A.RELEASE logs.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-07-2016 04:46 PM
Super User

Re: Unable to connect with SAS University Edition

Redownload and re add your VM. I'm not sure what breaks the link but something seems to...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-07-2016 04:46 PM
Super User

Redownload and re add your VM. I'm not sure what breaks the link but something seems to...

New Contributor

I redownloaded SAS UE, and re-load it on VM. Now the problem disappeared. My chrome has been 64-bit, and perhaps JAVA might have been not updated when that error first occured. I'm not sure what has caused the problem. 

Re-install SAS UE seems to be the solution! Thanks folks! 

Contributor

I have the same problem with java failure, and I get the same messages.

I got the latest VM from Oracle, and I use Windows 10, and I keep my software up-to-date.

Is this a java problem or a SAS University Edition problem?

I will try re-installation this weekend. 

But has anyone actually has this problem and solved it?

Super User

SAS UE is not officially supported on Windows 10.

Some people have stated it does work for them though.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

What virtual machine and Computer are they using? Perhaps there's a pattern
in success or failure by host and VM.

Is it possible to run Windows 7 or 8 in a virtual machine on Windows 10?
Then install SAS UE on that virtual machine?

Super User

Consider contacting SAS tech support, I have no idea about the requirements.

You posted your signature, which includes you phone number, in your last post.Not sure you want that info out there.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I solved my own problem, and SAS UE does work with Windows 10. Here is what you do, besides making sure you allow virtual machines in BIOS and such.

I uninstalled the virtual machine. Then I updated my default Chrome browser to 64-bit -- the Oracle Java website shows how to tell which version you have of Chrome. Then you install the latest Java, which is 32-bit. Next you go to install the Java by download only for 64-bit (see the Oracle site for instructions). Then you reinstall the VM from Oracle. Setup the VM with 2 processors and 50% of your RAM, which you should do when you configure the VM machine. Then you start the VM machine, sign on from Chrome, and then you see the SAS GUI, where I ran a very simple test which worked!

So SAS UE works with 64-bit W10 using 64-bit Chrome. I have seen this issue before when we upgraded laptops at work -- everything had to be 64-bit before any 64-bit software would work. BTW 64-bit Java addresses much more memory, and that's always a good thing. What's better is SAS UE on my personal laptop.

Contributor

How do you exclude the name and email address from a post?  

I could not edit the post to remove it, but I did change my preferences, so that info should no longer appear.  It does appear in the preview of this message, but the signature is not something that I can edit.

Super User

The little GEAR icon on the top right hand side of every post allows you to edit your posts. 

Contributor

I had my signature in the Preferences, and I removed it from there.

That did the trick, since I no longer see my signature in the Preview  of this post.

However, the signature does not appear as text that you can edit by the Gear icon.

Thanks for alerting me!

New Contributor

I am using Oracle VM VirtualBox on a MacBook Pro OS X. Still haven't tried to reinstall SAS UE yet, so it's still not working on my laptop. Will try today. 

Contributor

Make sure to set you BIOS to allow a virtual machine, and update Java and
your internet browser to 64-bit. Then do the reinstall.
--
Phillip Julian
Devo.spudboy@gmail.com
919-623-1309
☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation