Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to connect to SAS university edition using the URL generated by VM ware

New Contributor

Unable to connect to SAS university edition using the URL generated by VM ware

Hi,

I got a URL generated on the VMware which i pasted in my local browser, but i am unable to connect to the URL, getting an Err_connection_timed_out error instead.

i had kept my VM ware window open as suggested in the installation.

Have attached the screenshot of the error, kindly let me know if i am missing anything out.

Thanks!

error.PNG
PROC Star

Re: Unable to connect to SAS university edition using the URL generated by VM ware

I get that all of the time. Typically, I have to click the X and reboot icons about2-4 times before SAS starts.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Super User

Re: Unable to connect to SAS university edition using the URL generated by VM ware

Can you try a browser other than Chrome? Firefox? 

Google has been trying to speed up 'things' by penalizing sites that load slowly. There's probably a way to override the time in preferences. 

Also, make sure the VM remains open and booted while you use it. 

SAS Employee

Hello, @Reeza!

It looks like Chrome doesn't support manually changing the page timeout settings like other browsers. @Ankit1801, if you are able to successfully launch SAS University Edition using another browser but prefer Chrome, I would suggest going through these troubleshooting tips.

http://tutorvoice.com/index.php/2015/07/21/simple-way-to-fix-google-chrome-err-connection-timed-out-...

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95669?hl=en&visit_id=0-636328722451999027-3496442386&rd=1

@Ankit1801, if you are still experiencing connection issues, regardless of browser, try double checking that the virtual machine is configured correctly.

http://support.sas.com/kb/53/791.html#jmp3  

If the connection issue continues after that, you may need to re-import the OVA file.

https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition/download-software.html

Hope this helps!

Caroline

PROC Star

@CarolineC: I found one post (https://superuser.com/questions/633648/how-can-i-change-the-default-website-connection-timeout-in-ch... ) that sugested creating KeepAliveTimeout and ServerInfoTimeout settings, using regedit, for Windows 10 users. I set mine to 120000 (2 minutes).

The instructions provided on that page were:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

Type "KeepAliveTimeout", and then press ENTER.

On the Edit menu, click Modify.

Type the appropriate time-out value (in milliseconds), and then click OK. For example, to set the time-out value to two minutes, type 120000.

Type "ServerInfoTimeout" and set too.

Restart machine.

Worked for me! This morning was the first time I've been able to start UE on the first try.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

SAS Employee

Thank you, @art297!

I'm glad changing those values in the registry improved your ability to access SAS University Edition! 

New Contributor

Tried the suggested method, i am still getting the same timeout error on all browsers, havent been able to run the software yet (tried with chrome, mozilla and Edge)

I have win 10 installed on my system (64 bit).

Any other suggestions that i can try out?

SAS Employee

@Ankit1801, just to clarify, you were also able to verify that the virtual machine was configured correctly and re-imported the OVA file?

New Contributor

Yes, my VM Ware is running correctly and generating the URL 192.168.44.128
The URL is not connecting.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Super User

Can you post some screenshots please, of the VM running, VM settings and another of the error message?

New Contributor

hi,

PFA the screenshots.

VMWare settings.PNGEdge error.PNGVMWare.PNG
Super User

Everything looks ok. 

Try clearing cache/cookies and restarting everything, if you haven't already. AFAIK it should work ... it's rare to generate the address but then not run. 

I would also consider starting from scratch, reinstall VM/Oracle Box and try that. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation