Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to access SASUSER files

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to access SASUSER files

I am unable to access the files from the SASUSER library. I am using SAS university edition on windows 7 64 bit.

I am getting warning message in the log file.

Here is the code that I am writing and the log message. Please advice.

Data work.balance; set sasuser.bookdata; run;

Log Message --- 1        

OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK; 42        ; 43        data work.balance; 44        set sasuser.bookdata; ERROR: File SASUSER.BOOKDATA.DATA does not exist. 45        run;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-03-2015 07:46 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: Unable to access SASUSER files

That program does not create any datasets. It just defines some filerefs to point to some text files in the SASUSER directory.

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Employee

Are you able to open the Libraries section of the navigation pane on the left, expand the SASUSER library, and confirm that the BOOKDATA data set exists there? 

The SASUSER library is read only in SAS University Edition, and you cannot save content to this library, but you should be able to read from it.  I was able to use your code to create a new data set in the WORK library from a data set in the SASUSER library.

thanks,

Jennifer

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jennifert,

I can see the bookdata set under sasuser folder including all other data sets under the folder section on the left pane. However, there is no data set visible went i expand the sasuser under the libraries section. See the screen shots attched

Please suggest.

sasuser2.JPGsasuser.4.JPGsasuser1.JPGsasuser3.JPG
Super User

.dat is not a valid extension for a SAS dataset, which should have the extension .sas7bdat.

Where did the files come from?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

I believe, when i installed sas university edition, I run some program to add some practice data sets. But I don't remember it exactly.

How do I fix these / reset to default / reset the practice datasets?

please suggest.

Super User

Since the sample datasets in SAS UE reside in the SASHELP library (like in all other installation types of SAS), these datasets must have come from somewhere else.

Take a look at how you installed them initially.

It may be that renaming them to a .sas7bdat extension can correct the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kurt,

After renaming the files, I can see those files under the library SASUSER, which earlier were not visible. However, still the program shows an error after running

ERROR: File SASUSER.BOOKDATA.DATA is not a SAS data set.

Super User

This simply means that your .dat files were no SAS datasets to begin with.

New Contributor

I have the folder titled ssuser in the library, but it will not allow me to open it which I guess there are no files within

Valued Guide

You could have stored those dataset in the host approach (Winows/Mac) in the sasuser dataset. If you have done that you can use the same actions to correct.

As you are configuring personally the setting with the VM configuration it is your personal choice location just review those.

The practice datasets are part of these mappings and you can dot that in a similar way.  Translating in your mind what is on the host (your desktop) and seen in the VM (SAS UE Linux Centos).

The SASUSER is read-only but there could be some weird errors as you can define those datasets in SASuser showing up in the contents but not actually being there. That is an error within SAS UE / Studio that could be confusing. Just focus on the good working steps and avoid any of the not working.
That is very difficult as you do not know which one is the good working and the bad one. The support staff does only know the good working and cannot imagine of people going into the bad ones.   

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jaap,

Thank you for the explanation.

I am sorry to say but I could not understand what ever you explained. Could you please simply?

Valued Guide

Simplify.... difficult but can add screenshots.

1/ VM folders.  You can adjust those by yourself   where I put myfolders and something for me (ikke) is in the VM.
   At that one all is found. Jumping to that: J:\documenten\..\Myfolders at Windows

I will see below myfolders (Windows) the sasuser.v94 (Centos SAS UE 94). It is there you can download put everything in.        
VM-folders.png

The Windows ikke is translated to Linux-Centos as (The name being used within SAS UE):

VM-folders2.png

The /folders/myfolders is the other one.

At my computer it is at Windows :  J:\documenten\prive.jaap\lpbn cursus\analytics_u\myfolders

For the courses you have to find a place. That can be eg ECSTAT0  and may be placed at a submap with that name  

VM-folders4.png

VM-folders3.png

Then put in your course SAS sources:

libname statdata "/folders/myfolders/ECSTAT0";

libname library "/folders/myfolders/ECSTAT0";

I checked the SASuser access form SAS sources. There was an issue as mentioned a long time ago. But that seems to be fixed (SAS UE is getting updated). The cursor movement is still troublesome when copy/paste code from IE screens into the SAS editor. The circumventions is easy (restart).

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jaap,

I do not see the two tabs under the settings - Hardware and Options. Mine looks like this:

I mapped the SASUSER.V94 as a shared folder. this doesnot work.

VM1.JPG

Valued Guide

No manishdjk mapping yourself to sasuser is not really sensible. It is a subfolder below myfolders, you can find it there.

Some guidelines:

- With SAS SAS-UE you should avoid to use SASUSER even if you find a lot of SAS documentation having that as an example.

The ratio: SASUSER is often mentioned with DMS (terminal SAS-PC) usage and the DMS approach is being abandoned by SAS.

SASUSER is based on a single user single process single system (almost stand alone) concept.

- SAS datasets (.sas7bdat) are SAS proprierty format. They are more like a RDMS page-space. 

DO NOT copy move rename or whatever using OS-tools (Windows sFTP) unless you are very sure on the effects on those.

- As case-sensitivity is an Issue with Unix (not with WIndows/SAS) leave the naming of all SAS datasets LOWCASE and no special characters as spaces!

- SAS sources (there is a1/ data  also of plain text and 2/ code) are of a different type. They are like plain-text although the suffix is ".sas". The suffix has no meaning of the internal structure only which program is associated to open that. Coding SAS can be done using eg Notepad++.

Knowing those different types do not mix them up. You and the computer will be confused.  

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jaap,

I think, I got the source from where i downloaded those files in SASUSER.

Here is the link - http://web.utk.edu/sas/OnlineTutor/1.2/en/60477/rawdata.txt

Please suggest, how can I use the datasets created by this program.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 9 in conversation