Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Unable to Add SAS University Edition vApp to VMWare

N/A

Unable to Add SAS University Edition vApp to VMWare

I successfully downloaded VMWare Player for Windows and the SAS University Edition  zip file. The download automatically saved the SAS zip file and unzipped it in my Downloads folder.

I have a HP  WIndows 8 laptop. I' generally use Chrome browser, and use IE if needed.

I'm following instructions in the pdf http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVM...As per this, I need to launch VMwre Player and select 'open a virtual machine', and select the SAS University Edition vApp that I just downloaded and then go on to edit the Virtual Machine settings etc. However I can't get beyond the step to select the SAS University Edition vApp. When I select the vApp and click 'Open', I get an error -

'Failed to open Virtual Machine' A file access error occurred on the host or guest operating system '

I don't know how to proceed. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Super User

Re: Unable to Add SAS University Edition vApp to VMWare

Are you selecting the .vmx file to open?

New Contributor

I did and still got that message. Any suggestions to correct this issues.

Valued Guide

check you shared folders setting in the virtual machine. It could be some typo there.

The error message is pointing at something like that.  

Wat is you VMplayer version? It should work with 6.0.2.   I see they are having a rather new free 7 player version. I did not see complaints on that one yet, may be you are the first one.

Although they are claiming it should work with a newer version sometimes (too often) that fails. Download SAS University Edition | SAS (Virtual box issue)

---->-- ja karman --<-----
joo
N/A

I also encountered an error:

Failed to open virtual machine: A file access error occurred on the host or guest operating system.

I followed the instruction to download VMware Player, downloaded and unzipped SAS University Edition.  Clicked on Open a Virtual Machine in VMware Player, I selected the only file available (not a .vmx file extension though, it's called "VMware virtual machine configuration" file type) and got the above error message.  There are a total of 8 files in the zipped file. 7 of them are .vmdk file.  So what went wrong?  I cannot proceed.  I even watched the video tutorial and can't seem to proceed at the "Open a Virtual Machine" step..  All the files I downloaded are from the SAS website, so they must be the newest/compatible version.

Please help.  I really wanted to learn SAS a couple of years ago... and actually glad that they have a free version to try out.

Community Manager

Sorry you've hit this snag! This quickest route to a resolution, in this case, will be to open a track with Technical Support: 800-727-0025 Option 2 or send email to SASAnalyticsU@sas.com. When you post in the community in the future, start a new discussion. Do that by clicking "Start a discussion" in the Actions box in the right nav. That ensures more folks will see your post and have the opportunity to respond.

SAS Employee

This is Christopher with SAS Technical Support. There are two common causes to this file access error; either the files need to be extracted from .zip file, or the download of the SAS University Edition vApp may not have completed properly corrupting the file. If you have ensured that the .zip file has been extracted and you are importing the correct "SAS-University-Edition.vmx" file and you continue to face this error message, then we often recommend that you try re-downloading the vApp from our website. Be advised that the .zip file should be approximately 1.69 GB and any significantly different file size may indicate the download did not complete all the way. If you run into any further trouble, SAS Technical Support would be happy to address your concerns. More information on how to contact SAS Support is provided through the following link: SAS Technical Support

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation