Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

To buy laptop or desktop pc for practice in SAS

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

To buy laptop or desktop pc for practice in SAS

Respected sir,

I am SAS Biginner. Basically I am from India. I am going to start the Base SAS, Advance SAS and the Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics Courses. I want to buy a laptop to practice so will you say me weather is it possible to install the software in my laptop ? Can I practice the Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics on my laptop? For that please kindly tell me what configuration is required for these courses? Means at what configuration laptop should I buy? Is it possible to install software specifically for Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics on laptop?
Please help me and reply as soon as possible.

Waiting for reply..

Thanks..

Yours Faithfully,
Bhargav Dave.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-09-2018 08:50 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: To buy laptop or desktop pc for practice in SAS

Posted in reply to davebhargav1979

Most modern laptops should be ok, just need to be able to run virtualisation.  Then you would get the SAS University Edition which is installed on a virtual image.  You can find all the relevant information on the website:

https://www.sas.com/en_gb/software/university-edition.html

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-09-2018 08:50 AM
Super User
Super User

Most modern laptops should be ok, just need to be able to run virtualisation.  Then you would get the SAS University Edition which is installed on a virtual image.  You can find all the relevant information on the website:

https://www.sas.com/en_gb/software/university-edition.html

Valued Guide

Another option to that suggested by @RW9 would be to use SAS OnDemand for Academics which is also free and entirely web based so you don't have to install anything locally. It's slightly more restrictive in terms of the data size you can use but it has more Proc available. You can find the details here https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/on-demand-for-academics.html

Super User

You don't really need a "new" laptop but you do need a fast internet connection. You can run SAS on AWS for example or Academics on Demand which are all cloud based.  The courses themselves are all online and again need a fast internet connection but the technology is older so it works on most browsers.

However, you shouldn't refer to 'respected sir' because half the population is female unless you only want help from guys. And if you do then specify that instead. 

You can also sign up for the course and the first page has the minimum requirements needed for the course.

davebhargav1979 wrote:
Respected sir,

I am SAS Biginner. Basically I am from India. I am going to start the Base SAS, Advance SAS and the Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics Courses. I want to buy a laptop to practice so will you say me weather is it possible to install the software in my laptop ? Can I practice the Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics on my laptop? For that please kindly tell me what configuration is required for these courses? Means at what configuration laptop should I buy? Is it possible to install software specifically for Predictive Modeling and Statistical Analytics on laptop?
Please help me and reply as soon as possible.

Waiting for reply..

Thanks..

Yours Faithfully,
Bhargav Dave.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation