Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Time to renew your license for SAS University Edition

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Time to renew your license for SAS University Edition

Hi community members,

Good afternoon. I had the following question:

In the SAS University Edition with Oracle Virtual Box machine, how would I get the updated SAS installation data (SID) file, that includes SETINIT information?

I received the following warning when opening SAS Studio:

Warning: Your system is scheduled to expire on july 30, 2016 which is 41 days from now. The SAS system will no longer function on or after that date. Please contact your SAS installation representative to obtain your updated SAS installation data (SID) file, which includes SETINIT information.

I need to update the university edition to renew the license. I tried to use the information center, I followed the information center notifications updates. I have the warning as follows:

The check for updates did not complete. Make sure you are connected to the internet and try again. Try again

Would anyone help in addressing the warning above. I appreciate it.

Thank you,

Murali 

Your SAS license has expired and the software will stop working on 31 Jul 2016. See the documentation for details.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-16-2016 06:58 PM
Occasional Contributor

Re: Time to renew your license for SAS University Edition

I appreciate the time taken to send response, Beverly. I was also pleasant surprised to find that when I tried to call your tech. support staff by phone I did not have to wait very long to speak with the person.

Having abandoned the file updating process for license renewal on SAS University Edition (SUE), due to multiple freeze-ups of the downloading process,  and instead succeeded in doing a complete reinstall of the software,  I offer the following  partial listing of my steps and some precautions. I make this contribution because I ran into a number of  unanticipated problems in the reinstallation process on my Macintosh running Yosemite.
0.  Download the latest versions of VirtualBox and SAS University Edition.
1.  Make a duplicate copy on an external drive of your entire SAS University Edition folder where all your data, source code etc. are kept, for safekeeping.
2. Open VirtualBox and use the Remove function to disconnect all SAS virtual machines shown in the left side panel. (I assume that you are using the VirtualBox only to access SAS)
3. Run Oracle's VirtualBox uninstall tool.
4. Completely trash from your computer the folder that contains the SAS virtual machine(s) (on the Mac, the folder is named “VirtualBox VMs”, and is located inside  [Volume name]>Users>[Name OfYourFolder] . I did put a backup copy on an external drive.
(Note: The key point of the last three steps is to ensure that when you next run VirtualBox it sees absolutely no trace of a previous installation of that software on your computer. I got into troubles until I took this step.)
5. Be sure to clear the cache of the browser you would use to start SUE once you have successfully installed the latest version of VirtualBox. It seems like a good idea to aggressively clear the cache following any error message that you receive while trying to access SUE with that browser.
6.  Make sure that you use you carefully follow the steps in the SUE Quickstart Guide supplied by SAS and named “SASUnivEdQuickStartVirtualBox.pdf”. For now, be wary of the VirtualBox users manual supplied by Oracle, except to learn about virtual machines. I got into troubles trying to follow steps described in Oracle's manual.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I received a quick response from sas technical support on resolving it. I uninstalled the previous Oracle virtual box and the SAS university edition and re-installed them.

Everything works now.

Thank you,

Murali Sastry

Occasional Contributor

I feel that SAS organization needs to completely rethink its communications strategy and tactics about license renewal for the University Edition.  The following are needed:
1.  Mass mail an email message to SAS Univ. Edition users about the expiration date and do that at least two months before that date, to help those people who do not use the software for a long period and find themselves trying to use it a few days before or after the expiration date.
2.  Prepare clear and official (SAS originated) step-by-step instructions on the renewal process and mass mail an email message to SAS Univ. Edition users the link to the location of those instructions. (When I searched for instructions all I found was an exchange among users at the Community forum, and the information provided at that exchange was seriously incomplete because it did not mention what you had to do with VirtualBox.  All it spoke about was re-downloading the 2 gigabyte app, which just gets you into a lot of trouble if you have done nothing about the VirtualBox previously installed on your computer.)
3.  For those who are completely frustrated and decide to totally uninstall VirtualBox and SAS, so as to try and start anew, prepare clear and official (SAS originated) step-by-step instructions on how to completely uninstall SAS and mass mail an email message to SAS Univ. Edition to users the link to the location of those instructions. (I wish you good luck in your search for these instructions using either an Internet search engine or the search function at the SAS Communities Forum. I have failed completely to find them.)

Contributor

I hope someone from SAS is reading this.  If my understanding of this thread is correct, I will eventually get an expiry notice for SAS Studio, and the remedy is to unintall the virtual server and SAS and reinstall them?  If that's true, then I really do hope that by the time I have to renew (why should I have to, if it's free anyway?), a single-click solution will be in place.

I also hope that SAS makes an integrated one-click procedure for installing the whole kit and kaboodle in the first place.  Come on guys, you've got a fantastic product, but getting it installed is a nightmare.

Will

(SAS user for 30 years, now promoting SAS Studio everywhere I consult)

Community Manager

Hi @WillTheKiwi and @Theordore, we hear you and are already working on improvements in the areas you've identified. I or someone else will comment back in more detail, but wanted you to know -- sooner rather than later -- that we're paying attention! We appreciate you.

Solution
‎10-16-2016 06:58 PM
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate the time taken to send response, Beverly. I was also pleasant surprised to find that when I tried to call your tech. support staff by phone I did not have to wait very long to speak with the person.

Having abandoned the file updating process for license renewal on SAS University Edition (SUE), due to multiple freeze-ups of the downloading process,  and instead succeeded in doing a complete reinstall of the software,  I offer the following  partial listing of my steps and some precautions. I make this contribution because I ran into a number of  unanticipated problems in the reinstallation process on my Macintosh running Yosemite.
0.  Download the latest versions of VirtualBox and SAS University Edition.
1.  Make a duplicate copy on an external drive of your entire SAS University Edition folder where all your data, source code etc. are kept, for safekeeping.
2. Open VirtualBox and use the Remove function to disconnect all SAS virtual machines shown in the left side panel. (I assume that you are using the VirtualBox only to access SAS)
3. Run Oracle's VirtualBox uninstall tool.
4. Completely trash from your computer the folder that contains the SAS virtual machine(s) (on the Mac, the folder is named “VirtualBox VMs”, and is located inside  [Volume name]>Users>[Name OfYourFolder] . I did put a backup copy on an external drive.
(Note: The key point of the last three steps is to ensure that when you next run VirtualBox it sees absolutely no trace of a previous installation of that software on your computer. I got into troubles until I took this step.)
5. Be sure to clear the cache of the browser you would use to start SUE once you have successfully installed the latest version of VirtualBox. It seems like a good idea to aggressively clear the cache following any error message that you receive while trying to access SUE with that browser.
6.  Make sure that you use you carefully follow the steps in the SUE Quickstart Guide supplied by SAS and named “SASUnivEdQuickStartVirtualBox.pdf”. For now, be wary of the VirtualBox users manual supplied by Oracle, except to learn about virtual machines. I got into troubles trying to follow steps described in Oracle's manual.

Occasional Contributor

Mr. Theodore,

Thank you for a complete and step by step process to get sas university edition going when the expiration date is close by. I appreciate it. It would definitely help one who would be in the same situation that I was in a few months ago.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your appreciation. I look forward to seeing amendments/elaborations of the steps based on others' experiences (e.g. using the alternater virtual machine software); because there are various reasons why a researcher may feel that a complete reinstallation is needed. Cheers!
SAS Super FREQ

Thanks for doing that, @Theordore. Your posting is an example of why this Community is so valuable!

Randy

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation