Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Think data scientists only need technical skill? Think again!

Community Manager

Think data scientists only need technical skill? Think again!

[ Edited ]

At Bentley University's Center for Marketing and Technology recently, SAS solutions architect Jay Leatherman told students they need to know and embrace four things (other than technical prowess) to succeed:

1. Personality is Key: Look Within and Make a Match
  2. Maturity Matters: Think it Through Before You Lock it Down
  3. Resentment Happens: Be Prepared to Deal With Cultural Lag
  4. Alliances Are Necessary: Develop Survival Tactics

Details are in this report from Bentley University: 4 Tips For Success In A Business Analytics Job.

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Contributor tlk
Contributor

Re: Think data scientists only need technical skill? Think again!

Posted in reply to BeverlyBrown

That's a good description of my job... stuck between a rock and a hard place...  Being a SAS in our shop is already a challenge even if there are 200 + sas users, IT dept always frown upon sas users and I'm an IT guy working on the user side...  so I can be a bad guy on both side...  It take a great sense of humor...

Community Manager

Hey @tlk, a good sense of humor will take you far! Sounds like your work is challenging, to say the least, but I'm sure it's preparing you for something great.

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Super User

Posted in reply to BeverlyBrown

I'd go even one step further with three requirements, in this order:

• Personal attributes
  • Institutional, system and data knowledge
  • Tech skills

Tech skills alone wont get you very far. Without the data knowledge you wont know what to do with the data you are collecting. Without the right personal attributes you wont be able to communicate, convince and compel others with your findings.

Frequent Contributor

I am somewhat agree and somewhat not ..Data scientists,I feel .let them free. Nothing should be there to measure the madness for the love of data.No Protocols , No personal attribute ,not even how they look , feel , or sound.The experiment matters and the result.

The knowledge should define all noise and noting else or we will just end up converting a  Data scientist to a CEO.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation