Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Sweep up my SAS university

New Contributor

Sweep up my SAS university

Hi,

I downloaded the new version of SAS university and installed it on Oracle VM as required.

When I open my new version, I can't access anymore to my files which were present in the old version.

I can't get them back as it is impossible for me to run my old version of SAS university.

Does anyone can hep me? All my programs ere there and I really need to get them back.

Thanks.

Pam

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Sweep up my SAS university

Hi, @panic11.There are two possibilities. You either created a Shared Fodler in your previous version, and now you just need to set up that same Shared Folder with your new version. Or, you didn't set up a Shared Folder and you stored your files in the virtual machine in the previous version.

If you created a Shared Fodler in the previous version:

In order to share files between SAS University Edition (which runs as a virtual machine) and your physical machine, you put them in a Shared Folder. This is a folder that both systems can see and access.  Here are the instructions for how to do that:

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/shared_folder_virtualbox.htm

If you didn't create a Shared Folder previously and need to retrieve your files:

The files can be retrieved from the previous version of SAS University Edition if you still have it around. You will need to use a utility called 7Zip to do this. (7Zip is not from SAS; use at your own discretion.) If you overwrote your old version of SAS University Editon with the new version, then you may not be able to retrieve your files.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I hope this helps!

Randy

New Contributor

Hi!Thank you so much.

Thank you so much.

I wil try now and tell you!

Pam

New Contributor

Hi Randy!

I don't have a share file. The new version does not cover the previous version. The two versions still appear on my Oracle VM.

When you speak about 7Zip what should I do with? When I go to the hard disk where SAS university is installed, I have two files in VirtualBox VMs: SAS university Edition (old version) and SAS university Edition (new version). And inside I have Logs file, Snapshots file and VirtualBox Machine definition and Disk format files. In this, nothing to deZip but only to Zip?!

What should I do next so?

Thank you so much for your help.

Pam

SAS Super FREQ

You can open the vmdk file for SAS University Edition using a utility called 7zip. You will have to first download 7zip (it is free) and then you will use the 7zip utility to open the SAS University Edition vmdk file and search for your files. If you are able to find the files, you will extract them and move them to another folder on your machine. You should set up a Shared Folder and put your rescued files there.

Here’s where you download the 7zip utility:

http://www.7-zip.org/

You will then navigate to the old .vmdk file that you have in the SAS University Edition folder and then follow the steps below.

Use the "open archive" option and then navigate within the vmdk file to where you have saved your work. You can copy and paste then to a better location such as the myfolders area on your local machine.

You wlll see your files in the vmdk file you've opened with 7zip. You can then extract them as discussed above.

Randy

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation