Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Support Vector Machine (SVM) in SAS studio

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Support Vector Machine (SVM) in SAS studio

Hi there,

I know SAS Viya is able to easily perform SVM as shown in one of the tutorials. However, I've been struggling to find out whether this can be done with the default Tasks on SAS Studio (the free version). 

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-29-2018 06:44 PM
Super User

Re: Support Vector Machine (SVM) in SAS studio

Posted in reply to marianaalcos

All Replies
Solution
‎05-29-2018 06:44 PM
Super User

SAS UE? No.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I was also able to download the free trial (14-days trial) for SAS Viya. But the interface is different from SAS studio and I was unable to import SAS VIya's Task's to SAS studio (because I want to have it all coded in the same program). I've seen one tutorial showing that it was possible to use SAS Viya's Tools inside SAS studio, but I'm wondering if that's the case only for the paid version (and NOT the free trial), since I was unable to see the tasks inside my SAS studio. Any idea if it's possible to import the tools when using the trial?

Valued Guide

SAS University Edition runs in a locked-down virtual machine so while you can do an awful lot with it you're not going to be able to import Viya tools. Don't forget that SAS Studio is merely an interface, it's the UE back end that effectively has the restriction.

Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisBrooks

Well, thanks to both of you! 

So I guess that the conclusion is that I cannot perform SVM with the University edition only, is that right?

Valued Guide

There are some clever ways around some of the restrictions in SAS UE but I think even if you succeeded in doing something along the lines of what ypropose you may be breaking the terms of the VIYA trial licence.

You could, I suppose, code it yourself in Base if you’re feeling brave but it’s not something I have experience of.....

Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisBrooks
Thanks Chris!
Super User

@marianaalcos wrote:

Well, thanks to both of you! 

So I guess that the conclusion is that I cannot perform SVM with the University edition only, is that right?

Yes, SAS UE is not designed to access Viya and it does not contain a lot of the complex machine learning models. 

Contributor

Ok, thank you so much! 

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation