Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Straw Poll: Level of qualifications you have relating to SAS

New Contributor

Straw Poll: Level of qualifications you have relating to SAS

Hi, 

Quick Straw poll - wondering how much qualification the SAS Community has & how it relates to their job

1. Degree in statistics/mathematics
  2. Certification
  3. No Certification/on-the-job training
  4. Self taught

Also, any comments of how much this influenced securing your job 

• Pre-requisite for applying
  • Preferred
  • Transferrable from MS Excel / SQL

Thanks fellow SASers !Smiley Happy

Super User

Re: Straw Poll: Level of qualifications you have relating to SAS

Posted in reply to BradMorris67

It's not clear what you're looking for here at all. What are you trying to do/get information for/about?

TBH I don't see any value in answering this at the moment beside someone's curiousity.

New Contributor

Yes - curious to see where other SS users were in terms of using SAS for their jobs.

Is this the wrong forum for this type of question? 

Pls advise. 

Thnx

Super User

This is the correct place but it's still not clear what you're asking.

New Contributor

Ah, OK sorry.

In going for a job as (say) a business analyst, curious to know in the SAS community if

• they MUST have has a degree in stats/math before they could even be considered for their job
  • had some experience with EXCEL / SQL / VBA and transitioned?
  • Did they get into SAS by on-the-job training?

That kind of thing.... its a quick survey of the skill sets employers look for when they put "SAS" as part of the job description.

Clearer??

Super User

[ Edited ]

It depends Smiley Happy

SAS roles can encompass data engineers who may know nothing about statistics to requiring a PhD in mathematics. 

When I hire I define the must haves for the role, usually I prefer skills I don't have on my team already. 

The last role I hired required a Msc, not SAS specifically but programming experience was a plus, and at least 5 years of experience. My next posting will be a junior role, so I'll be training that person and expecting a Bsc in Math/Stats, Business degree (not MBA), good with Excel and some basic programming experience. Either way we also do yearly learning plans. 

Super User

I have been in the industry of designing surveys.

Your 'questions' are lacking a number of items as @Reeza has started you on clarifying. For instance does your first question expect a single response? If so then you need to do something as a minimum about about hanling overlaps such as Degree and Certification.

If the 'question' is Job prerequisits then "self taught" would be an extremely unlikely expected response.

Many job requirements will state a requirement as "demonstrated use of a statistical analysis package/software/program such as SAS, SPSS, R, STATA, MatLab" (pick your choices). Others will want a specific language but don't expect all job listings to actually state the one they prefer.

The first job I got with SAS was because I had one analysis class that used SAS, NOT the math degree. The next three jobs were the degree, plus experience with software plus experience with analyis. So you may want to work on a target of what kind of job: entry level or waht have. (And had the first two jobs before even seeing Excel)

I suggest that you may want to spend some time searching job websites with SAS mentioned to see how Employers post jobs to get ideas as there are a very wide variety of options depending on the industry, business and other factors.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation