Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Service Temporarily Unavailable Error 503 - an update from SAS

Community Manager

Service Temporarily Unavailable Error 503 - an update from SAS

Hi everyone,

I want to let you all know we're aware of issue you're experiencing in which SAS Studio returns a “Service Unavailable” error. We're working on a fix. When it's available, look for a post here letting you know. Also, the Update button will be available from the SAS University Edition Information Center page. Please know we are pursuing this with much urgency! So sorry this issue is causing some headaches. So you can keep moving forward with your projects, consider using SAS OnDemand for Academics, which makes SAS Studio available to all learners.

SAS Employee

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable Error 503 - an update from SAS

Thanks for your patience.  An update is now available for SAS University Edition which addresses the issue causing SAS Studio to not start up.  Go to your Information Center page (the URL you are given when you start the vApp, for Virtual Box users this is http://localhost:10080 ), and if you have an internet connection then you’ll see the updates available notification.  If you’ve downloaded or updated University Edition since 31MAR2016, then this update will be very small and should take little time to download and apply.  For full instructions on how to update, see http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/upgrade_releases.htm .

For those interested in the details…  There is code in University Edition set to run monthly to clean up unneeded files inside the vApp.  An error was made in the 31MAR2016 release which caused a log folder to be deleted during this monthly cleanup.  The folder’s absence caused errors in the SAS start-up process which is why SAS Studio was unable to connect to the SAS server.  The cleanup process runs when the vApp starts up so users who were accessing vApps from a saved state did not see the error (but would have the next time they restarted the vApp).  The fix in the update recreates the needed log folder and eliminates the code from the cleanup process that caused the error.

Though the best thing would have been to not introduce this error, we’re grateful for the quick reports via this community and SAS technical support that alerted us to the problem.  Thank you for speaking out.  And thanks to the folks in SAS R&D who were able to get the fix out so quickly.  We’re sorry for any problems this might have caused you and hope you’ll continue to be vocal about what’s working & not with University Edition.  Thanks again.

Senior User

Good to hear about the update.

I tried to update but failed. The progress bar isn't moving.

Waited for nearly 30 mins but still 0%.

SAS_error.PNG
Regular Learner

Hi,

I was able to successfully download the updates but not actually update it.

update failed.

New Contributor

I was able to download too, but update fail first time I click on update. I click again on update  but this time no progression no  error message.

Contributor

Hi Everyone,

For those who have downloaded new updates but fail to update it please follow steps:

1. Close your VM. Re-open it.

2. Open new browser like if you used to work SAS on Chrome then open Internet Explorer.

3. Go to options -> delete all time previous history with chaches, saved passwords, autofill form data etc. (i.e. select all such options) and delete history.

4. Open again your Explorer and try to download and update again. It will work - I have done the same and it worked.

5. Besides this i.e. after performing all 1 to 4 steps delete chaches etc. from Google Chrome also (or the browser you mostly use) to see the message: SAS UE is up-to-date in that browser also.

Regards,
AG_Stats
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Posting a link to the latest update for the benefit of all commenters on this thread. Please see this post: SAS University Edition Error Messages - 5/4/16 Update from SAS.

New Contributor

Update downloaded but fails to update. Tried multiple times.

Exited VM VirtualBox and tried running again but fails to update.

Senior User

Same problem here. I downloaded the update but fails to update...
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

For those who have downloaded new updates but fail to update it please follow these steps:

1. Close your VM. Re-open it.

2. Open new browser like if you used to work SAS on Chrome then open Internet Explorer.

3. Go to options -> delete all time previous history with chaches, saved passwords, autofill form data etc. (i.e. select all such options) and delete history.

4. Open again your Explorer and try to download and update again. It will work - I have done the same and it worked.

5. Besides this i.e. after performing all 1 to 4 steps delete chaches etc. from Google Chrome also (or the browser you mostly use) to see the message: SAS UE is up-to-date in that browser also.

Regards,
AG_Stats
Occasional Contributor

Hi 

I still face same issue as earlier. I'm not able to connect. I see the following error.

"This site can’t be reached

The webpage at http://localhost:10080/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED"

Thanks,
Haritha
New Contributor

hi, same problem, able to download the update, but it is unable to install (running mac version).

when i try and reset the virtual machine and just run sas without installing the update I get the "service unavailable" errror.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hi @SivaK @svijayak @samirmasekar @servule @haritha @PDSRINIVAS and @appal: Thank you for reporting what happened when you attempted the update. Not the result we hoped for, obviously, but we appreciate you taking a moment to let us know. We apologize for the inconvenience and are investigating.

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

No new news re: a resolution. We're still hard at work on it. But I'm commenting on this thread to make sure you know about a University Edition Live Tutorial at 11:30AM EDT on Tuesday, May 10. Hopefully, we'll be celebrating a fix by then and can spend the whole session helping new users install. Use this link to tune in: https://sas.webex.com/sas/e.php?MTID=m62fc606e5963cb3746313ac3a34c0775

New Contributor

New error now.

I've tried uninstalling vbox and the .ova file and reinstalling the old download from the website.

When I try and import the .ova appliance I get the error

"

Machine settings file '/Users/adamp_000/VirtualBox VMs/SAS-University-Edition/SAS-University-Edition.vbox' already exists.

Result Code:

VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)

Component:

MachineWrap

Interface:

IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

any idea how to clear this up? is it because I didn't do a clean uninstall somehow?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats