Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Security of data in SAS University Edition

Accepted Solution Solved
New User
Accepted Solution

Security of data in SAS University Edition

I'm currently looking between SAS 9.4 and SAS University Edition and wanted to know the data security features of SAS University Edition. The program functions in an internet browser, so I'm wondering whether this program should be kept strictly for examples and teaching and not for analysis of data sets where issues of confidentiality/anonymity are a concern. I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-30-2017 09:21 AM
Trusted Advisor

Re: Security of data in SAS University Edition

Posted in reply to todd_coleman

Todd,

Unlike the old 'SAS On Demand for Academics' product, SAS University Edition resides entirely on the local PC or Mac.  The web interface is just that, an interface.  You do not need to be connected to the WWW use it (you do need internet connectivity to download the software, but once installed it is self-contained).

I researched this when the product first came out and determined that it would be appropriate to use in a HIPAA environment for protection of confidentiality of the data.  [One of my 'hats' is with our Compliance Office, so I have to make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.].  I think that it should also be appropriate to use in a FISMA environment, assuming the rest of the computer was compliant.

Doc Muhlbaier

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Employee

Hello, I have moved your question to the SAS Analytics U community where you have a greater chance of having your question answered. Thank you!

Solution
‎06-30-2017 09:21 AM
Trusted Advisor

Todd,

Unlike the old 'SAS On Demand for Academics' product, SAS University Edition resides entirely on the local PC or Mac.  The web interface is just that, an interface.  You do not need to be connected to the WWW use it (you do need internet connectivity to download the software, but once installed it is self-contained).

I researched this when the product first came out and determined that it would be appropriate to use in a HIPAA environment for protection of confidentiality of the data.  [One of my 'hats' is with our Compliance Office, so I have to make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.].  I think that it should also be appropriate to use in a FISMA environment, assuming the rest of the computer was compliant.

Doc Muhlbaier

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation