BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

I am using Enterprise Miner for the first time via SAS OnDemand for my undergraduate class.  Among the topics to cover will be Decision Trees, Regression Modeling, Clustering and Association Models.  I know the course uses the Charitable Giving Data, Census data and Bank Data, all in the AAEM folder.  I would like to give my student different datasets to use than the ones in the course.  For someone who is more familiar with the SAS data sets than I am, are there other datasets I can assign that are already loaded under the MetaData Repository that I can assign to my students rather than uploading my own data sets?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, are you using SAS OnDemand for Academics? If so, the AAEM and the AAEMSPEL folder should be already loaded on the OnDemand server. As you can see from the screen shot above the BANK and CENSUS2000 files are in the AAEM folder. You do NOT create a new AAEM folder. The example I provided shows how to point with your LIBNAME statement to an existing AAEM folder that is on the OnDemand server in the /tutorials path.

If you are NOT using SAS OnDemand for Academics but are, instead using the Enterprise Miner class with your copy of Enterprise Miner on your machine or server, then you need to open the EM class and in the "Before you Begin" section, there are instructions for how to download a zip file of data to load on YOUR server.

Again, if you are using the SAS OnDemand server, you do not create a new AAEM folder, you must point to an existing AAEM folder in the location that I have specified in the earlier posting.

That location will not work on your personal Enterprise Miner at your work or your school. So how you are using EM will make a difference in how you get the data needed for this class.

cynthia

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi,
As far as I know, the AAEM folder contains all the datasets used for the Applied Analytics using SAS Enterprise Miner course. I am not aware of other datasets that might be useful, specifically, in the area of data mining and Enterprise Miner.

SAS always has the SASHELP datasets installed, which includes SASHELP.HEART, data based on the Framingham heart study. You can read about other SASHELP datasets here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/tools/sashelpug.pdf.

cynthia
Enkidu
Calcite | Level 5

my AAEM dataset is emtpy, when i want create datasource. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

The AAEM reference is to a FOLDER, not to a single dataset.

When I look on the SAS OnDemand server, I do see that there are some libraries that are already defined on the server. For example, there is an AAEM library and an AAEMSPEL library. I believe these are the libraries that correspond to previous versions of our beginning Enterprise Miner training class (Applied Analytics using SAS Enterprise Miner). These libraries have been on the SAS OnDemand for Academics server and the older SAS OnDemand for Professionals server (now retired) since we first offered the cloud server offering to instructors and students.

So, if you use the following LIBNAME statements and PROC CONTENTS steps, you should be able to see the data files that are available on the OnDemand server. They are on the SASApp server in the /tutorials/data/studio location on the server (not in your /home location). 

Here's the SAS code that does a PROC CONTENTS for each of these libraries:

libname aaem '/tutorials/data/studio/aaem';
proc contents data=aaem._all_ nods;
title '1 aaem library in aaem folder';
run;

libname aaemspel '/tutorials/data/studio/aaem_spel';
proc contents data=aaemspel._all_ nods;
title '2 library in aaem_spel folder';
run;

how_see_AAEM_data.png
Here are the results running on the SODA server. I do not have EM to test with, so I used SAS Studio to issue my LIBNAME and show you that the AAEM folder is not empty.

cynthia

VamshiPamu
Calcite | Level 5
Hi cynthia, i've created "AAEM" folder as per the instructions in the enterprise miner tutorial from SAS ONDEMAND, but my folder is empty, where i created "AAEMSPEL" but i cant able to find "census 2000" data and "bank" data in that.
Please help.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, are you using SAS OnDemand for Academics? If so, the AAEM and the AAEMSPEL folder should be already loaded on the OnDemand server. As you can see from the screen shot above the BANK and CENSUS2000 files are in the AAEM folder. You do NOT create a new AAEM folder. The example I provided shows how to point with your LIBNAME statement to an existing AAEM folder that is on the OnDemand server in the /tutorials path.

If you are NOT using SAS OnDemand for Academics but are, instead using the Enterprise Miner class with your copy of Enterprise Miner on your machine or server, then you need to open the EM class and in the "Before you Begin" section, there are instructions for how to download a zip file of data to load on YOUR server.

Again, if you are using the SAS OnDemand server, you do not create a new AAEM folder, you must point to an existing AAEM folder in the location that I have specified in the earlier posting.

That location will not work on your personal Enterprise Miner at your work or your school. So how you are using EM will make a difference in how you get the data needed for this class.

cynthia
RandyMullis
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Please note that the AAEM datasets are available to Enterprise Miner but you'll need to define the library in your Project Start Code or elsewhere in order to use it.

For example, you could put the following in  your Project Start Code:

libname aaem "/tutorials/data/studio/aaem";

You'll then be able to use it in SAS Enterprise Miner.

Thanks,

Randy

sachaanu0
Calcite | Level 5

While creating  new project -- the option of selecting a directory is greyed out

Jukon2
Fluorite | Level 6
Please do I access the sample data aaem so that I can create my library on sas enterprise miner tool?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, As I explained above, the data for the AAEM and AAEMSPEL libraries are ALREADY loaded on the servers.

If you are working with OUR e-learning class (and not your instructor's data), then please look in Lesson 1 in the Lesson Overview for the 14.2 version of the class and click on Personal Workstation Configuration to find the link to get the zip file of data.
Cynthia
jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

When you go to create a new Data Source, the path to the sample data set is: “Metadata Repository | Shared Data | Libraries | AAEM”  Follow this list of folders to see the sample data. 

Rajivk
Calcite | Level 5

Check older version of the same course and go to setup section. If you have lisenced EM software, you could download sample data and add to your EM

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

5 Steps to Your First Analytics Project Using SAS

For SAS newbies, this video is a great way to get started. James Harroun walks through the process using SAS Studio for SAS OnDemand for Academics, but the same steps apply to any analytics project.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 8 in conversation