Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SQL Pass through

Occasional Contributor

SQL Pass through

Hi All,

I have SAS Enterprise Guide (Free version) on my personal laptop and I have SQL management studio.How can I execute SQL Pass through to read data from my SQL management studio? IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I prefer to use the Base or Programming option rather than point and click option of SAS EG.

Super User

Re: SQL Pass through

Posted in reply to SYREXOKONNA0

@SYREXOKONNA0 wrote:

Hi All,

I have SAS Enterprise Guide (Free version) on my personal laptop and I have SQL management studio.How can I execute SQL Pass through to read data from my SQL management studio? IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I prefer to use the Base or Programming option rather than point and click option of SAS EG.

There is no free version of EG. There's EG via Academics on Demand, but that has strict licensing restrictions. 

AFAIK you cannot use SQL Pass through in EG. You can set it up as a library access by first setting up a User DSN in the control panel that connects to the server and use that connection. This assumes of course that you have SAS Access to ODBC or SQL Server included in the license. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reeza I meant  SAS EG  Academic version or SAS On demand for academic

Also the steps you suggested in your post,Is that possible with Academic version.

I  want a situation where I can access the data on my SQL server and read the data into my SAS  library using the programming ability or tool  in SAS EG.I hate using the point and click function in EG

Super User

That runs in the cloud and I don't believe it supports server access. If you're affiliated with an academic institution a license is usually pretty cheap. 

If you want to confirm, you should contact SAS directly. I'll move this to the Analytics U forum, and maybe a SAS employee can chime in there.

Respected Advisor

@SYREXOKONNA0

SAS EG and SQL Management Studio are both Clients communicating with a Server. Your data is server side (SQL Server).

You can use either client to communicate with the server. If using SAS EG then you connect to a SAS Server, send code to this SAS server which then connects to the SQL Server (provided you have SAS/Access to SQL Server or ODBC licensed and configured).

You can send any valid code to the SAS server from EG including pass-through SQL.

BUT: As @Reeza writes there is no free SAS EG version for commercial use so make sure you stay within the legal boundaries.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation