Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS

Completely new to SAS... How does it differ from R and is it faster. What is better about SAS? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

Re: SAS

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to quiksilver67213

Totally different from R, the only similarities being that they are typically used for Statistical Analysis and general data reporting. SAS is better at handling large data sets. The same program in SAS will 99% of the time work the same on a 1000 and 100,000,000 size data set.

SAS is used in many enterprise environments, where open source software isn't prevalent, especially in health care.

Faster depends on what you're doing...

Good Luck and Welcome to SAS!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

[ Edited ]

Totally different from R, the only similarities being that they are typically used for Statistical Analysis and general data reporting. SAS is better at handling large data sets. The same program in SAS will 99% of the time work the same on a 1000 and 100,000,000 size data set.

SAS is used in many enterprise environments, where open source software isn't prevalent, especially in health care.

Faster depends on what you're doing...

Good Luck and Welcome to SAS!

New Contributor

Thanks man! This is the exact answer I was looking for. Cheers mate!
Super User

I don't know R but I have somewhat amazed people used to other programs that I could generate the max, min, mean, standard deviation and number of observations for 1000 variables with only about 50 characters of coding. Including spaces and statment end characters. And under some conditions as few as 10 characters.

Proc IML is where most of the SAS matrix elements hang out which I believe is how R typically works.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation