Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS on UNIX plattform for free

Contributor

SAS on UNIX plattform for free

Hi everybody,

I am reading a book about SAS on UNIX. Its good, but I want some practise on my linux terminal. Is there a free version of SAS so that I can practise it?

SAS Super FREQ

Re: SAS on UNIX plattform for free

Hi, cons. No, there is not such a free offering. 

Regards,

Randy

Super User

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

What do you mean @RandyMullis?

University edition runs in a Linux VM, and is free for learning purposes...

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/index.html

Data never sleeps
SAS Super FREQ

Hi @LinusH.  I thought @cons wants to interact with SAS via Unix. The only interface to SAS University Edition on Linux, MacOS, or Windows is through the browser, and almost all of the interaction with the operating system (via external calls) has been disabled. Since the book concerns SAS on Unix, I thought @cons wanted to explore those aspects of the software which are specific to Unix (such as the 'filename pipe' command or using xcmd call to execute shell commands). 

When you use SAS University Edition, you won't really find any differences between the Macintosh, Windows, or Linux because in all three cases, you are interacting through the browser with a version of SAS running on a Linux virtual machine.

I hope this helps and clarifies! 

Randy

Contributor

I am not sure that SAS UE die Möglichkeit via Terminal auf die SAS ENGINE zu zugreifen. hm awww help !!! I want learn SAS on the line !!!
Super User

Ok, you got me confused @cons, what is it that you actually wish to do?

Edit SAS programs in vi, and then run them in the background...?

Running SAS via command line on a terminal is very mid 20th century - if this is what your are looking for, why?

Data never sleeps
Contributor

Running SAS via command line on a terminal is very mid 20th century - if this is what your are looking for, why? YES!! that is what I want!!
Super User

cons wrote:
Running SAS via command line on a terminal is very mid 20th century - if this is what your are looking for, why? YES!! that is what I want!!

Why???????

Super User

Learn SAS basics first, which you'll be able to learn via SAS UE. 

Learn UNIX 

if if you need to put the two together you'll be able to IMO. 

SAS Super FREQ

There's a lot of power in combinng Unix shell scripting and line-mode SAS! And if you can do so for productive purposes, it's actually fun in a geeky-way!

Randy

Super User

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

@RandyMullis True, for the geeks Robot LOL

Out of curiousity, what would I learn by using SAS via Unix command line that I would not learn using regular SAS?

It seems more geared towards an adminstrative role, rather than actual day to day SAS user. In some smaller companies, those roles often get combined, though they tend to not have SAS server then as well. I'm finding it hard to see the value...not that its not there, just can't see Smiley Wink

In this case maybe one of the adminstrator courses would be worthwhile? 

Or is it the different style of programming, say, similar to programming with Python in an interactive window?  

Contributor

I need it for my work I work with terminal and editor on terminal
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation