Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS for Windows license Key

New Contributor

SAS for Windows license Key

I have the "Little SAS book" and was planning to take the SAS base exam.  The book unfortunately uses examples etc written for SAS for Windows.  SAS Certification Prep guide also looks like it is written using SAS for Windows version 9.4. 

I already downloaded SAS-University-Edition Studio.  The interface does not look the same as the above books.

Is there any way I can get a copy of "SAS for Windows" and free "license key" so I can follow along the above books.  I will be using the software to study for the base exam on my own.  I am not a student and my work has no access to this software.

Thanks.

Super User

Re: SAS for Windows license Key

SAS usually don't give away their regular SW for free. If stumble over a copy, chances are that it's illegal.

So the university edition is probably what you can get.

But I'm 99% sure that no UI question will come up on the Base/advanced exams - they focus on programming. You just need to learn the interface, then you'll be fine.

Data never sleeps
Super Contributor

Something caught my attention that you mentioned the "Little SAS book" in your preparation for the SAS base exam.

Hope you know that you probably may take this book as reference for the exam as SAS stated here, because its content does not match with exam content.

What i mean is, you do not have to do all the book examples in your preparation for the exam.

But probably if you wish to finish from a book before the exam it should be SAS Certification Prep Guide: Base Programming for SAS 9, Third Edition.

But always make sure that you covered all the topics mentioned in the exam topic at the sas site.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Even the book SAS Certification Prep Guide: Base Programming for SAS 9, Third Edition references SAS for Windows software in its examples.  I am assuming the prep book does Not contain the SAS for Windows software or any temporary eg 6 month license key while you prepare for the exam. 

Super User

If you can successfully assign a library (LIBNAME statement) and external file references (Filename statement) the OS you are using has little impact on program code unless using Procs that only exist for those systems, and Base Programming is very unlikely to get into any of those.

Super User

One thing you need to learn to pass certification is that the SAS Language is 99,99% platform independent, so don't lock up yourself on SAS in Windows.

Data never sleeps
SAS Employee

You can use the SAS University Edition to prepare for the base programming and advanced programming certification exams! The interface looks a bit different and you may need to adapt the code in some instances. "SAS for Windows" referes to the 'classic' interface that is available on Windows environments. The interface provided with the SAS University Edition is SAS Studio and although it looks different it has similar elements. Have a look at the table below shows where you can find the elements from the classic interface in SAS Studio.

Table with elements and their equivalentes in both environments.

SAS windowing environmentSAS Studio
Editor windowCode (tab in the work area [right panel])
Log windowLog (tab in the work area [right panel])
Output windowResults (tab in the work area [right panel])
Explorer windowFolders (section in the navigation pane [left panel])
N/ATasks (section in the navigation pane [left panel])
N/ASnippets (section in the navigation pane [left panel])
Explorer windowLibraries (section in the navigation pane [left panel])
Explorer windowFile Shortcuts (section in the navigation pane [left panel])

You can find the documentation for SAS Studio here.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation