Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS cannot find 'myfolders' on the virtual machine

Occasional Contributor

SAS cannot find 'myfolders' on the virtual machine

I installed SAS UE as directed and it worked great. Now I come back and the Info Center says it can't find the shared folder 'myfolders' on the virtual machine. The folder is still there, and shows up in VirtualBox as a defined shared machine folder, auto-mounted with full access. Suggestions?

Super User

Re: SAS cannot find 'myfolders' on the virtual machine

Posted in reply to Larrycwalters

Post a screenshot please. 

Make sure to create it with all lower case letters. 

You can also navigate to it using Server Files Folders pane and then right click my folders and use properties to see the path. 

Note that this doesn't stop you from doing anything in SAS UE.

Occasional Contributor

SAS problem.JPG

And the warning from SAS Info Center is: 

A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details.
Super User

It looks fine to me, I would assume the browser is being stupid and refresh it or restart even and see if it resolves.

What happens if you code the following:

libname out '/folders/myfolders/';
Occasional Contributor

I tried restarting the browser, then restarting the computer, then I tried a different browser. Same warning message each time.

Entering the code you suggested works fine, because SAS creates a myfolders folder somewhere on a temporary basis. but that folder does not contain any of my previous work or saved settings. 

I did a global search in Windows Explorer for the folder myfolders. It came up with two shortcuts created today (in addition to the real folder). I deleted both and restarted VirtualBox and SAS. Same warning message. 

There is probably something really obvious going on, but I sure can't see it. 

Super User

What path do you get when you right click on myfolders and select properties in SAS UE under the Server Files Folders pane?

Occasional Contributor

/folders/myfolders

which is what I would expect. 

Super Contributor

Until you can get this fixed it might be a good idea to create another shared folder and save your work there. I've added my dropbox folder to the shared folders and store all my work in sub-folders to that so I can use SAS UE on my laptop if I'm away from home.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisBrooks

I would not call this a solution, more like a work around. And I am still not sure what is going on.

I tried the suggestion made by ChrisBrooks and created a new shared folder. SAS could not see the new folder either. My system automatically moves files to OneDrive. I suspect that may be the problem for some reason. So I created a new shared folder in the c:/Users/(myname) folder. SAS could see the new folder just fine. So then I moved the whole SASUniversityEdition folder to the same c:/Users/(myname) folder and updated the path in VirtualBox. Voila! Now SAS sees myfolders and the new folder as well. Apparently something about the OneDrive location confused SAS. In any event, I am back on the road. Thanks to those who tried to help. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation