Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Very slow or not responding

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Very slow or not responding

I have this problem where I run this simple code just to get see how the University edition works before I try it on my students :

data data1;

input a b;

cards;

1 2

3 4

;

run;

proc print;

run;

I run it once and everything is fine.  But then when I rerun it a second time with very slight modifications, the program hangs or does not respond.  So I sign-out, then sign back into SAS again and it runs very quickly as expected.  I've been having this same problem with other simple programs. 

Anyone have a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-22-2014 01:53 PM
SAS Employee

Re: SAS Very slow or not responding

Posted in reply to jenyee7_gmail_com

An update for University Edition is now available that should fix the occasional hang that users have experienced when submitting code.  See more info at

Jennifer

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

I believe this is a known error for the University Edition.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Reeza.  You must have experienced the same problems.  I'm thanking of going back to SAS-On-Demand.

Super User

If you're with a big institution I think students should be able to get the desktop version of SAS or the On-Demand for free. 

Frequent Contributor

It seems like some simple syntax errors cause the UE session to get stuck RUNNING and don't  come back. I fix the error but the session is still stuck. sign out sign back in it runs OK.  Is there any OPTIONS to limit the cpu seconds or something.

Trusted Advisor

@jim_G seen the same kind of simple syntac errors being the cause of stuck SAS sessions.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Any solution out there?

Trusted Advisor

The only solution uhhh by-pass I know is to reset the SAS session.  The real solution must come from SAS development. A new version of the analyticsu.

Occasional Contributor

That I have been doing which is a hassle.  Free is not really free?

Frequent Contributor

Keep the faith.   SAS is really well supported. We need a simple example that sticks the session and submit a ticket to tech support.

I used some single quotes at first that could be a clue.

Trusted Advisor

I did some data storing in sas user with 0 observations it did something but with more data it got stuck replacing that. I forgot the sas user is readonly and locked.

Replayed after cleanup and then messages were shown.

I am somehow frustrated as support could be taken more seriously. Once got the answer as nothing is found with Google or in our database there is no error....

Sometimes timing issues are very difficult understandable for needing more time. Other issues. ..

And still trying for the good

Occasional Contributor

I am afraid of trying this in my classroom because I will be inundated with questions and problems.  I will stay with SAS On Demand until this gets worked out.  Theoretically, it is a good concept.

Trusted Advisor

Jenyee7  I tried to copy/paste your code into a running AnalyticsU session. What happened is a disturbed editor window, double cursors content not according to what is seen. Very confusing as when pushing submit the code what is submitted is not what you see at the screen. Very unpredictable behavior. Knowing this it easily reset refreshing the screen and all kind of that. This is issue no 2 making Intuitive work cumbersome.
Both are based on something with the technical presentation part.

You are having a program (education lesson) to be followed. It is probably build and verified using "SAS on demand" that one has also a lot of issues but they are known when working with your program.
This should be fully verified what is in it and where the differences are if you do not want to be get surprises in your classroom. If you cannot do that in advance may be it is possible to have some using analyticsu aside the on demand one. Once having the needed experience you can underpin a switch.  

Solution
‎07-22-2014 01:53 PM
SAS Employee

An update for University Edition is now available that should fix the occasional hang that users have experienced when submitting code.  See more info at

Jennifer

N/A

Posted in reply to jennifers_sas

I'm having a problem updating University Edition (it's been updating for 10 hours). Where can I get tech support? I tried filling out a tech support form, but I don't know have a site number and I don't see University Edition listed under products.

thanks,

Julie

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation