Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University on Amazon Web Services Linux server or Windows Azure server

New Contributor

SAS University on Amazon Web Services Linux server or Windows Azure server

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has been able to install SAS University on a server in the cloud, e.g. either a Linux Server or Windows Server. I know software that runs on a windows desktop often also runs without a problem on a windows server. 

Thanks for any information you could share.

SAS Employee

Re: SAS University on Amazon Web Services Linux server or Windows Azure server

Hi Mattcon,

University Edition is currently designed for a single user on a single, local machine.  The URL to access SAS Studio is a localhost one so it’s not set up for easy remote access or to be shared by multiple users.  Also the current license is based on individual use.   All that said, there are still options both current and planned for multi-user and cloud access. 

What would help is to know what’s motivating you to seek this out – are you setting up a class or multiple learner access or are you just looking to use a cloud instance for yourself rather than a local machine?

Thanks

Jennifer

Super User

Given the size of the image I'm not sure it would be a cost effective solution, though I suppose its cheaper than a new laptop if thats the issue.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I have a server set up in Azure with various analytical software installed (R, SQL, developer tools etc.) and use it primarily for skills development and keeping skills up to date. Its a sever but I am the only user. If I do a tutorial or coursera type course, I use this server for doing the exercises. Its really easy to remote desktop in and run something quickly, and I don't have to worry about installing software on my work machine that is unsupported by IT. I took a couple of SAS courses about six months ago and feel I have already forgotten so much so I want to keep my SAS skills fresh and thought this was a great solution. I would love to be able to get it installed on this Windows Server box on Azure with all my other analytics software.

Thanks

Matt

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation