Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Instant Type on AWS

New Contributor

SAS University Instant Type on AWS

When I start an instance of SAS University in AWS I am only given a limited number options for selecting the instance type: t2.micro, t2.small, or t2.medium. The other instance types are grayed out. I am running a simulation and need more memory than what is provided in those options. Does anyone know if there is a way to select a faster instance than the three listed above? Alternatively, does anyone know if there is another way to run SAS on Amazon's service that allows for a faster speed?

Thank you.

Super User

Re: SAS University Instant Type on AWS

Download the VM and run on your own machine. You can specify the memory, though not the cores.

New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I have never used a VM before. Does the speed of the machine I download the VM to make much of a difference for the performace of the VM? Also, do you happen to know what the maximum amount of memory I can specify for the VM?

Thanks again.

New Contributor

I looked into VM but it doesn't solve my problem because it runs on my machine. I am trying to use AWS because I need to run an intensive simulation and my machine isn't powerful enough to run the simulation in a reasonable amount of time. I was hoping that I could run several instances at once on AWS. However, the instances on AWS available for use with SAS University are all pretty slow. I was hoping to find another way to run SAS on AWS.

Super User

Some other options:

1. Look at a full version of SAS. See if your University offers this for a low cost, usually under $100.

2. SAS UE is a learning tool designed for learning, a complex simulation may not be possible due to the limitations.

Super User

There is no memory limit, and yes it would depend on the processor/computer for sure.

My laptop is really fast, SSD 16GBRAM but my desktop is a bit slower because its not an SSD but it also as 16GB RAM. 

Another option is to use a totally different services and run the VM on there. 

Set the work directory to your shared folder and although most things may take a while, they'll still run.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation