Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University - Importing OVA file - Error "Could not create the directory" (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED)

Occasional Contributor

SAS University - Importing OVA file - Error "Could not create the directory" (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED)

Hello, 

I've been trying to get SAS University up and running but get an error when trying to import the OVA file into Virtual Box (see attachment w/ screen shot of error). 

I've been following some threads in search of a solution for this error and have already tried VirtualBox's versions 5.1.4, 5.1.12, 5.1.2 and 5.1.0. 

I'm still getting the error.

Could anyone help me w this?

Thank you in advance ! 

Thanks ! 

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.53.44 PM.png
Super User

Re: SAS University - Importing OVA file - Error "Could not create the directory" (VERR_ACC

Can you move the storage location to a location than under users? It seems like you don't have admin privileges for the folder to be created. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: SAS University - Importing OVA file - Error "Could not create the directory" (VERR_ACC

Hi @Reeza, VirtualBox is currently stored in "applications" and the Ova file in the "downloads" folder both of which are housed under Users. 

Do you mean storing the Ova file or VirtualBox in another location? Also, what location would you recommend? It seems like on a Mac, almost everything falls under Users.

Thanks for your hlep !

Super User

It seems weird to be unable to create the folder. Is it a permission issue? If you navigate to the folder can you create a folder or file in that location? Is there by any chance a previous instance lying around? 

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I can create a folder in that location. Not sure, any help would be appreciated !

Super User

Try VM workstation instead. That's what I use, no issues on my Mac. 

Occasional Contributor

Is there a free version of VMware? @Reeza

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @renanm! I feel sure this will work for you. Last night I tried to respond via email but neglected to actually send it. My apologies!

I would suggest you put your VM (the virtual machines) in your Documents folder. This would be my best guess.

You are welcome to send email to support@sas.com or call our support line at 1-800-727-0025. I feel sure we can make it work for you.

Again, please change the install location to your Documents folder. I think this is a permissions issue. I'm sorry for your inconvenince!

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Hi @RandyMullis thank you kindly for your response. 

Just to clarify, are you instructing me to change my VirtualBox to my documents folder? 

I haven't downloaded VM, as per Reeza's previous advice as it seems like the free version is only temporary. 

Please let me know ! Thanks again for your support !

SAS Super FREQ

Yes, that's what I'd say. The Mac has a little tighter permissions model when it comes to services writing to the file system. So I think relocating it there will work. 

You can to to the VirtualBox menu, then Preferences, and then change the default location for VMs.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Hi @RandyMullis it worked ! Can't thank you enough for your help ! Much appreciated !

SAS Super FREQ

Great! I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Thank you for learning and using SAS!

Randy

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation