Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition

New Contributor

SAS University Edition

Hi,

I noticed an interesting behavior recently on SAS Univ. Ed.

Platform: BOTH Windows and MacOS

Browser used: Chrome

Virtualization Environment: vBox

Behavior:

1) When I press enter, the cursor will enter the next line, but the view of the code pane will also page-down by one. The moment I start typing code, the view will go back to the cursor. This is incredibly disorienting and is making it difficult for me to follow my own code. This happens in Chrome and I'm trying to replicate the behavior in Edge/IE.

2) When I ctrl-s to save, the cursor focus changes to the left window pane. Did this behavior exist before? So now whenever I type and ctrl-s to save, I have to use my mouse to click back into the cursor pane, at the exact spot I was typing, in order to continue to code. This happens in Edge, IE, and Chrome.

SAS Super FREQ

Re: SAS University Edition

Hi, @felixdd. What version of Chrome are you using? (I understand you are using two different machines/platforms.)  Does the same behavior happen with other browsers?

Thanks,

Randy

New Contributor

Work (Win7) machine: 56.0.2924.87

Home (Win10) machine: 57.0.2987.98

I don't have my mac here so but I did update to the latest version and the problem persisted.

The scrolling problem does not occur on IE or Edge but it still loses focus to the left panel when I save. But before we blame everything on Chrome, I'd just like to point out that this problem didn't occur until recently. It does look like chrome updated Jan 25, 2017 to 56.0.2924.87.

I guess I'll switch to Edge for SAS for now, but I do prefer Chrome

PROC Star

I had the same problem with the Oracle VBox, thus switched to VMWare. I haven't run into the problem using VMWare.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

SAS Super FREQ

That's very strange, because I wouldn't think the hypervisor would do anything with the HTML coming from the VM's web server. Hmmm...

Randy

PROC Star

@RandyMullis: But it definitely did. I found that, with VBox, once a line got to be (going from memory here) 20 or 30 characters wide, the cursor would always appear to be in a different place, making it extremely difficult to edit a line.

Like I said, rather than complain, I simply switched to VMWare, and the problem went away.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Super User

I'm using VMware and noticed the problem in Safari yesterday as well. First time in a while though, it used to happen a lot when SAS UE was first launched but then went away and now it's back.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation