Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition

New Contributor

SAS University Edition

Hello:

I just installed SAS university edition. It loads fine.But,when I entered http://localhost:10080 in chrome browser, I get the message:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to localhost:10080

I tried several times,but could not go over it.Could someone help with this problem.

Bereket

Trusted Advisor

Re: SAS University Edition

use the full ip-address with all the numbers you are getting in startupmessage..

Ratio:
- localhost is you desktop host system Window or Mac according to your browser.

- Within the VM a Redhat Linux is running that one is also named localhost.

The old confusion.  

Please read and speak loadly: What is my name?   What answer are you getting/wil you get/expect...?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

What localhost means: localhost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The virtual machine in which SAS UE runs behaves like a distinct computer.; for networking purposes it could as well be a server in Tsingtao or on the ISS.

So, as Jaap said, you need to use the UE VM's IP address when connecting to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super Contributor

Berekat

http://localhost:10080/ is correct if you have installed the app correctly.  Checklist:

o      Do you have an icon for the VM?  I used the Oracle VM on a Mac hand have a blue cube icon labelled VirtualBox

o     If you click on the icon do you see the name SAS-University-Edition against a black background?  indicating the VM is loaded but not powered on.  Select the option to start it

o     If it is started the SAS logo should appear initially against a blue background, and a separate window shows progress of the load

o     eventually the separate window should revert to white text on black with the message you can connect with the connect string above in your browser.

How far do you get on this list?

New Contributor

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am using the full IP address in my browser. Just tried again to make sure. But, did not connect yet.

RichardinOz,I am using Windows 7 and use the 'start' menu to start the oracle VM. It went through all the four steps you listed and provided me the IP address (http://localhost:10080/) I need to enter in a browser to connect SAS UE. But,the problem still persists. I tried both Chrome and firefox.

Super User

That would suggest that the Oracle VM utilizes some kind of network tunneling from the Windows host system to the VM, by connecting Windows' localhost:10080 to the VM's port 80.

Googling for 10080 has given me a lot of Applications that use this port as a loopback to themselves to check proper startup. So it may be that you already have something running that listens on 10080.

Suppose you try to connect to localhost:10080 with telnet BEFORE starting the Oracle VM to see if something is already listening there. Or maybe use a windows tool (equiv. to UNIX netstat).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Trusted Advisor

vmstart-u.jpg

I use the VMplayer on W7 after starting the session this screen is coming. This is when you can start your browser with that address. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

This is where I got stack. Let me hear from people who are using Oracle VM before I install and try VMplayer.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation