Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition: snapshot feature in VirtualBox does not work

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS University Edition: snapshot feature in VirtualBox does not work

The title says it all.

Say I create snapshot A in VirtualBox, make changes to the sas program file, then create snapshot B.

I then stop SUE and restore snapA. The VirtualBox shows it being loaded and then indicates that it is indeed loaded.

When I restart SUE, however, the sas program file that opens in my browser displays the contents of snapB.

No amount of fiddling helps, I always get the most recent version of the program file.

What am I doing wrong?

(VirtualBox 5.0.14r105127, SAS University Edition is up-to-date)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-24-2016 07:43 AM
Super User

Re: SAS University Edition: snapshot feature in VirtualBox does not work

[ Edited ]

Snapshots apply to the VM settings and environment, not your programs, as you're experiencing.

From VMWARE:

A snapshot preserves the state and data of a virtual machine at a specific point in time.
  • The state includes the virtual machine’s power state (for example, powered-on, powered-off, suspended).
  • The data includes all of the files that make up the virtual machine. This includes disks, memory, and other devices, such as virtual network interface cards.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10151...

Your files are actually being saved on your desktop, not on the VM so this is why the program state isn't being 'snapshot'. You can use a third party source control program, since you are dealing with text files. SAS UE isn't meant to be a production system so you cannot integrate any version control, or any other application, within the VM as it is locked down. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-24-2016 07:43 AM
Super User

[ Edited ]

Snapshots apply to the VM settings and environment, not your programs, as you're experiencing.

From VMWARE:

A snapshot preserves the state and data of a virtual machine at a specific point in time.
  • The state includes the virtual machine’s power state (for example, powered-on, powered-off, suspended).
  • The data includes all of the files that make up the virtual machine. This includes disks, memory, and other devices, such as virtual network interface cards.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10151...

Your files are actually being saved on your desktop, not on the VM so this is why the program state isn't being 'snapshot'. You can use a third party source control program, since you are dealing with text files. SAS UE isn't meant to be a production system so you cannot integrate any version control, or any other application, within the VM as it is locked down. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Reeza,

Thank you for the reference and your explanation; clearly, I misunderstood the snapshot function in VirtualBox. After reading your reply (and checking it out on my machine), I see that my regular Rollback snapshots do indeed protect the VirtualBox directories, despite claims to the contrary by the publishers of Rollback Rx.

Norman

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation